Myochin tsuba motif help

Deez77

I would be grateful for any insights as to the motif of this Echizen Myochin Katsu Haru tsuba. I've not been able to find any reference examples. Perhaps simply decorative?

PSX_20240508_190407.thumb.jpg.c6d23cf28f69aaddec96604955e308cb.jpg

Dimensions of the piece are 74mm x 70.4mm x 5.5mm. Thanking you in advance. 

Damon

• Like 3

Thought long and hard about this same tsuba yesterday or the day before.

The single elements north and south remind me of karimata arrowheads.

The side elements remind me of Sanscrit characters, called Bonji in Japan.

Does that help get the ball rolling? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The arrowhead idea fits really well, Piers. Thanks for that. The larger cutouts initially made me think of a Kabuto maedate, but that may be a stretch.

Damon

• Like 1

The maedate idea is definitely a good thought, Damon!

For the upper and lower symbols, however, as a design element, the 丙 hei fishtail of the old counting sytem of 甲、乙、丙 also seems possible. In fact I think some karimata are somehow based on hei. Hei is related to hasso, the correct braced stance for a sword-wielding Bushi to place the feet, also seen in the design of Tanegashima butts. 

• Like 2

They seem somewhat reminiscent of kuwagata* to me, which as the tsuba is a Myochin piece might just be a possibility perhaps?  ......................................................You can stop laughing now:) But I think Damon is thinking along the right lines.

* For the those who may be unfamiliar with Japanese armour, kuwagata are the ornamental horn fittings on a kabuto (helmet).

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..