Kanenobu. Signed Noshu ju Kanenobu.

Steven:

If that's the only "bad" spot, you could accept the blade as is. Only a polisher could tell you if it is repairable, however pumping another 2,000 into that blade to make it perfect would extend beyond its value. I don't think you are going to find a perfect rig at an imperfect price. Either accept that blades at this price will have flaws or be prepared to dish out another 2 grand for a perfect one. For me, if he is offering a discount, I would take it and have a decent deal. Others may only collect perfect specimens and return it.

John C.

• Like 2

Both marks on the blade were shown in the original listing; albeit at the edge of the photos.

The fact that a discount was offered is very generous, IMO. I agree with John, and I would follow his and Brians advice on this one.

Cheers,
-Sam

Aye, would have wanted clearer, more informing images.

Saying that though, usually don't get a reply when you ask, if Ebay.

Its undesirable, what matters is what you think, and learn.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Swords said:

Would you want it if it was yours? I sent Woody pictures to see what he thought 

If I saw this listing, made my offer, and purchased the sword - then yes I would want it. The scuffs are an eyesore, but I have blades with much bigger issues in my collection. 

I would have wanted better photos of that area also; but there's no reasons to suspect the seller was hiding anything that wasn't already clear prior to purchase. I might even turn down the offer of a discount, and chalk it up to being "my bad". 

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep it and enjoy the sword in my collection. It's a nice looking sword, in my novice opinion. 

Alex brings up what ultimately matters - and that's what you think,

All the best,
-Sam 

• Like 2

I did get a 300.00 off the price so I think it best to keep it Maybe down the road I will get it polished as it seems worth it to me

The spot isn’t Deep but smooth more superficial 

Again thanks for all opinions It was a difficult decision and hope it was the right choice 

• Like 3

I’m glad I had help deciding what to do about this sword s i appreciate everyones opinion 

I have a question 

I noticed the menuki is broken off in the saya 

the ends of the menuki on both sides came off I tried removing the saya but is frozen 

I believe a piece of the menuki is stuck inside the saya Any help would be appreciated 

Steve

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Swords said:

I have a question 

Looks as if the seller had it off so it shouldn't be stuck. 1) After removing the mekugi with a chopstick or thin punch, look through the mekugi-ana. You should see daylight. If so, ensure there is not a second mekugi hiding on the tsuka before forcing the tsuka off. 2) If you don't see daylight, try a thin punch or nail until you do. Since the tsuka has been off recently, it really should come off fairly easily.

John C.

• Thanks 1

I am perplexed because the  wrapping was tight so I don’t know why the 

mekugi got broken?

I will give it a try  I don’t want to make it worse

thanks Steve 

What you are saying makes little sense. Please show us an image of what you are trying to do. The tightness of the wrapping should not be an issue in removing the mekugi. 

• Like 1

If the ends of the mekugi "came off" then you must have been using a pair of pliers to pull at it?

I'd try using a chopstick, or a similar "poker tool", to PUSH the mekugi out. Mekugi are slightly tapered or "cone shaped", so they should come out one-way more easily than the other.

Like Colin says, images would help a lot because the description of your issue isn't clear.
Cheers,
-Sam

Maybe mekugi got splitted as sword was pushing it during shipment..(this might happen if it was a very weak wood instead of a bamboo) Or tried to remove the blade while mekugi was inside? What you can try is to pull two broken pieces at the same time real hard..

They are disposable. Don't worry about it. Carve a new one from a bamboo chopstick. Can easily remove any bits stuck in there. If the one side of the hole is blocked by the ito...just gently move it aside a bit with a blunt tool. It's not difficult. Then push the new one in...check which side is the larger end. Don't sweat the small stuff. Often they are almost in pieces when re-used many times.

• Like 3

The ends of the mekugi came out easily because it was broken. I did try the chopstick but no luck I think it’s wedged in pretty good 

I was thinking maybe a small Alan wrench ?

Because what s left of the peg is inside 

Im afraid if it’s not in tang hole and not lined up I don’t want to force  it out! Maybe im making it more complicated than it is

1 hour ago, Swords said:

Because what s left of the peg is inside 

Try putting pressure on the bottom of the tsuka (pushing or tapping up toward the tsuba) to take the pressure off of the stuck piece then push out with a thin tool. If it isn't for some reason lined up, try a stick pin or needle. Push it into the mekugi wood (like a mekugi popsicle) until it sticks, then pull it out.

We really need to see a pic of the problem.

John C.

I can’t see day light but looks like wood inside 

Even if there’s. Wood inside the hole shouldn’t the scabbard come off without forcing it ?

The peg came out easily on both sides yet when I pounded it using a block of wood and a hammer it didn’t budge

I don’t know if it’s lined up I will try the pin like John mentioned 

I will take a picture 

You keep saying scabbard!
WTF man.
Please get the terminology right so we aren't all confused as hell. You are trying to get the tsuka off, right??
And no. Unless that hole is clear....you won't get the tsuka off. PLUS....many RJT swords have a second mekugi pin lower down on the handle. Look carefully for one.
If not there, then use a pin/drillbit (in your hand.....not a drill) or anything to pick away at any wood until the hole is free. If you shine a torch inside there you should easily see what is happening. This is all pretty basic stuff.

43 minutes ago, Swords said:

yet when I pounded it using a block of wood and a hammer it didn’t budge

Please don’t pound anything with a hammer and a block of wood until you know what you are doing. If you were pounding the tsuka (what you call the scabbard!!!) with the mekugi still partially wedged you are likely to break or bend something.

Also as said earlier, the mekugi often have a gentle taper on them so they are intended to come out one way, not both ways. Try it gently from both sides as Brian suggests with a chop stick and see which way it wants to emerge. From your two images to me it looks like it will come OUT of the hole in the top image as the other is partially covered by the ito.

It also helps if your pics are in focus.

Finally I used the awl from the cleaning kit pounded it with the point end and it broke into small pieces left from the peg Than I cut a new peg to fit from a chop stick 

Thanks for everyone’s help 

IMG_1092.jpeg