Japan Art Expo in Utrecht, June 2024

Is anyone else going the 3rd JAE in Utrecht this June? Has anyone attended the previous Expo's and if you did were the lectures and demonstrations informative? Were the presentations in English? Were the swords and fittings offered by the exhibitors high quality and how were the prices? How was special Friday event for 3 day ticket holders? I'm a novice collector looking make my first nihonto purchases so looking for some insight on what to expect as an attendee at the show.

HB,

please give us your first name plus an initial to address you politely (it is a rule here).

We had some reports on former Utrecht events here in the NMB which might help you. In my memory, the lectures and demonstrations (in English) were interesting, depending on where your collecting focus is. 

The prices were 'normal', I think, for what I was looking at. Buying there is of course a good opportunity and saves you from the hassle of customs and shipping. Can't help you with that special Friday event.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will strongly recommend going. I went to both 2018 and 2023 events, unfortunately I have to skip this one as I will be in Japan.

On both years I enjoyed lectures very much, I think on both years I tried to listen to all of them. They are very nice however they can be quite specific on certain subjects. For me the best part of the events is meeting the people around Europe. It is fun to meet some NMB members, NBTHK-EB members, people that I know from other sword related stuff. Previous years have been excellent on that front, lots of familiar faces.

On 2018 event I enjoyed the joint effort of sword clubs/collectors as there was an amazing study section of very high level swords & fittings. Unfortunately that wasn't present in 2023. On both previous events there have been for sale swords and fittings etc. from affordable to very expensive. In general I didn't really see cheap low quality stuff being offered either year. The affordable items were also of quality, so I feel that it would be "safe" to purchase as first time buyer. Of course depending on what you are looking for there can be a variety of offerings. I have not bought anything from the events.

The special Friday event might be a new one? I think the show last year was 2 days and 2018 special event was only for exhibitors etc. if I remember correctly.

As you are from Germany there will be (most likely) lots of German guys with very high level of knowledge attending, so I hope you will meet some of them and maybe get to discuss some sword stuff.

• Like 5

I agree with Jussi's words, it's always an excellent opportunity to study, as well as for "hassle-free" purchases after live viewing, and of course to meet experts and friends.
Unfortunately I too will not be able to be present this year for work reasons, but the our Italian association for the Japanese sword I.N.T.K. will hold a lecture on Saturday.

This is a report from the previous edition: http://www.intk-toke...an-art-expo-2023-nl/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow is the day and I have just arrived at a nice parkup beside a lake near Utrecht in my VW California. Hopefully I will get to meet a few of you over the next couple of days at the Expo. 

Went there, seen great stuff. I am glad I got to inspect a lot of great blades and koshirae! My only regret was not picking up that juyo, my eyes were tired at that point so it would've given me a wrong impression. It took me a while to notice but it seemingly still had its registration card on the shirasaya...
I didn't really speak to active NMB members though. I did meet Charles White, pretty fun guy to talk with. He said he used to be on this forum years ago.
Also attended a lecture on the Uda school to see how much I could actually understand, I was satisfied but I am far from being an expert. They had some technical issues but I can see that they put in some hard work putting it together.
I did miss the last one, but by that time I came down with a pretty nasty headache which pretty much made my return trip home a hell.

I have learnt three important things; My pockets will really never be deep enough, I like yoroi-doshi blades and Keiun Naohiro (the 5th) is someone I really wish to meet. I hope by the time I can do that he's still able to make a tanto.

Overal the experience was good I'll probably attend next year's expo as well.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Deiro said:

Went there, seen great stuff. I am glad I got to inspect a lot of great blades and koshirae! My only regret was not picking up that juyo, my eyes were tired at that point so it would've given me a wrong impression. It took me a while to notice but it seemingly still had its registration card on the shirasaya...
I didn't really speak to active NMB members though. I did meet Charles White, pretty fun guy to talk with. He said he used to be on this forum years ago.
Also attended a lecture on the Uda school to see how much I could actually understand, I was satisfied but I am far from being an expert. They had some technical issues but I can see that they put in some hard work putting it together.
I did miss the last one, but by that time I came down with a pretty nasty headache which pretty much made my return trip home a hell.

I have learnt three important things; My pockets will really never be deep enough, I like yoroi-doshi blades and Keiun Naohiro (the 5th) is someone I really wish to meet. I hope by the time I can do that he's still able to make a tanto.

Overal the experience was good I'll probably attend next year's expo as well.

I attended that lecture too as well as the one on armor. Both talks were very informative and the Juyo Ko Uda from Henk was a really nice example. I thought the talks were a little light this year. Previous years had many more on both the Friday and Saturday. This year only on Sat. 

I think it would have been nice if we all had name tags and not just the exhibitors. Udo D. had some really nice swords on display. As did Nick Ruppero. His 28? cut test wakizashi/short katana with Marko Sesko writeup was the standout piece. What a beast of a blade.

I ended up buying my first Koto blade. It was the first blade I inspected at the show and I spent the next 2 days doing some research and viewing everything else on display, before committing.

It is late Kamakura Yamato blade attributed to the Shikkake school with TH papers and a nice Tensho style koshirae with papered Tsuba and new black Urushi saya. There was a shirasaya with sayagaki by Tanobe san that the vendors had done when they visited him at home last year. Nakago approx 71cm. The blade shows a strong utsuri which had me a little concerned but it does fade when viewing the hada directly. It has that ethereal quality giving the impression it floats above the hada. I will post some pics when I collect the sword next week. In the meantime I will try to upload a closeup video I took of the blade. 

The same dealer also had a Ko Uda with Hozon papers which had many interesting features. What put me off was the boshi was not existent on one side and there were 2 weird deep scrapes approx 7 mm long on one side and 5 mm on the other. Same place on the blade but hard to see due to them being sandwiched between the tip of the bo-hi and the edge of the shinogi. The explanation offered was it was damage that occurred from a thrusting action through armor. Not sure if I was buying that tbh. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hi,

was also on the Expo, for first time it was very nice and i learned a lot. The dealers and personal was very friendly and we had a very good time, I am also planning to attend next year. Also the city Utrecht is wonderful, a very nice atmosphere here,

Regards

Oli

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Touched back down home in Montreal after having spent some time in Europe and wanted to take a moment to recap the show after having exhibited. Just want to give a shout out to Eddy and Henk for organizing such an event. It ran very smoothly from my point of view, we had amazing dealers there, several from Japan and Europe, as well as the Samurai Museum in Berlin with a nice setup. I was the only one to attend from North America.

Great attendance and lectures and most of all thank you to those who popped in to say hello! The last time I was there was at the very first event pre-covid so was nice to see so many familiar faces. Was unfortunate to not be able to see a few faces (Jussi, Francesco and a few others). 

My wife was there to help out and a big thank you to her for helping with my setup and entertaining some of the guests questions. And thanks to her sister who kept our children at bay for the weekend. A very important event for Europe I think, already successful but it also has the potential to be even bigger with everyones support so hopefully we see you there next year!

IMG_0727.jpeg

IMG_0666.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

It was great to finally meet you Nick, at the Expo. Henk and his colleagues did a wonderful job at the venue, which was their first at the Karel V. They are hoping to book the same place for next years event, which has the potential for further expansion should other dealers wish to attend.

I think it will be more international with both Australian and North American dealers seriously considering a stand. I hope they and others will see it as a great opportunity to tap into the European market which is certainly under served when it comes to high quality Nihonto, Tosogu and Katchu. Utrecht is a wonderful city in its own right and the Expo is in a perfect location to enjoy. Hope to see you in 2025. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to come this year for work reasons, I tried to contribute as much as possible with the slides for the lecture about the Uda school. I hope to see you soon!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

This has been bugging me since June and I kick myself for not asking, but does anyone who attended the show remember the smith who made the Kamakura (possibly Heian) era blade that was showcased on the Samurai Museum Berlin stand? 

3 hours ago, Lewis B said:

This has been bugging me since June and I kick myself for not asking, but does anyone who attended the show remember the smith who made the Kamakura (possibly Heian) era blade that was showcased on the Samurai Museum Berlin stand? 

By the way, was that the Ichimonji / ko-Ichimonji ubu zaimei blade? I did not attend, so not sure which one you mean. If you remember the school, we can speculate…

36 minutes ago, Gakusee said:

By the way, was that the Ichimonji / ko-Ichimonji ubu zaimei blade? I did not attend, so not sure which one you mean. If you remember the school, we can speculate…

That would be the right era. More Ko-Ichimonji sugata. Tiny kissaki with some taper to the blade. It was short around 60cm if my memory is correct. 

Not the blade I had in mind as the one I am thinking about is nearly 80cm in length.
The long blade is Juyo-ed to mid Kamakura as Fukuoka Ichimonji Norinawa, even though Tanobe sensei has sayagaki-ed to an earlier time saying no later than early Kamakura and refers to a KoBizen smith of similar workmanship and similar but different name (Yasunawa/Yasutsuna, with a very similar second kanji). Juyo paper to Norinawa, but could also be pronounced Noritsuna and that smith is not in the meikan, so some confusion thereof. The workmanship is definitely early-ish Kamakura Bizen and here the speculation starts: too flamboyant for KoIchimonji, some traits of KoBizen (some jifu, very heavy nie), some elements of Fukuoka (gorgeous choji) but sugata of an earlier time (early Kamakura). So, overall confusing blade but one of those smiths that one could argue is late KoBizen or early Fukuoka smith. Overall a very desirable piece of my favourite flamboyant Bizen style and 78cm ubu zaimei sugata. 

I am not sure which shortish blade of KoIchimonji workmanship in the Berlin Museum collection that could be…. I have seen the top blades and am

blanking at a “short KoIchimonji” one. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Lewis B said:

Is it true the Japan Art Expo is in hiatus? This seems to be the message on the website

https://www.japanartexpo.com

Very disappointing for us European collectors. It was an amazing opportunity to meet international dealers/collectors, see and buy high quality pieces. I hope it returns soon. 

Well, I cannot blame Eddy for taking a break. An enormous amount of work goes in putting these together and, despite various exhortations, the European cohorts from the U.K., France, Germany etc are not turning up. There are probably 500-600 serious students across these countries and we cannot seem to muster them.  Even the Netherlands can do better in summoning more attendees….

It is a pity “Lewis” that you started late with all of this and missed the first two events. They were stronger, especially the first one, with the stupendously good exhibition of members’ TokuJu and Juyo blades and Tosogu which far outshone the items for sale back then. 

it is a real pity as this event had the potential to be a great mini DTI, but it is our fault - the collectors, members etc who are very vocal on NMB but cannot be perturbed to go to Utrecht. And our colleagues in the US traverse a whole continent to attend their gun and militaria shows…. We just don’t have it in us to travel for the hobby. A few hardcore fans do it, but a show like that is not sustainable with only 50 regulars. 

• Love 1

Unfortunately I think you're right. I was there for the 3 days and heard mutterings that attendance was less than hoped. Not only that but I don't think the dealers were selling many items, which might ultimately have cooled the idea of another Expo. It cost a lot of money for the dealers, especially from Japan and NA to set up a stand. 

Henk seemed quite upbeat though after the event and was in discussions immediately after to sign a contract for the Hotel to host the event in 2025. Maybe that fell through. 

I would certainly have loved to attend the earlier editions, but to be honest it was only in passing that I found out about the 2024 Japan Art Expo at all. I don't think the pre-event publicity was so effective and failed to target the right groups and forums. I thought the German attendance was very poor tbh.

If hotel is the main issue, one can arrange to borrow a museum's space though it will be much further to the east - there can be couple of good options in Krakow, smaller spaces in Warsaw etc.

There is an issue things move slowly here - we were talking about running a high quality exhibit, but the results are so far disproportionate to the amount of alcohol I've consumed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1