My first Hozon Katana

My first Hozon papered Katana. I thought it was very interesting how short the blade is and how shallow the sori is. The sori is only 2.1cm and the blade happens to only be 62.4 cm long. When looking into the blade I found that most blades attributed to Naminohira were munch longer than this, so this is a rather short katana. It has some minor flaws along the blade and is out of polish, but none the less I think a great first papered sword.

Screenshot_20240226_174721_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240226_174648_Gallery.jpg

20240226_132702.jpg

20240226_132650.jpg

Screenshot_20240226_174905_eBay.jpg

Jonas,

it is a SURIAGE (= shortened) blade, which means it was considerably longer originally. The SORI is not at all shallow, compared for example with a KANBUN SHINTO blade. The condition is something that will be of concern in the future. The blade is out of polish, but it seems to be quite tired, so more material loss is probably not doing it any good. The KISSAKI seems to have a major KIZU which probably cannot be removed. But we would need better photos to be sure.

So the question may be allowed what you see in that sword? A lot depends on what you paid for it and what your expectations are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Jonas,

it is a SURIAGE (= shortened) blade, which means it was considerably longer originally. The SORI is not at all shallow, compared for example with a KANBUN SHINTO blade. The condition is something that will be of concern in the future. The blade is out of polish, but it seems to be quite tired, so more material loss is probably not doing it any good. The KISSAKI seems to have a major KIZU which probably cannot be removed. But we would need better photos to be sure.

So the question may be allowed what you see in that sword? A lot depends on what you paid for it and what your expectations are.

There are no openings or blisters on the KISSAKI, it is just the manner in which I took the photo that makes it appear as such combined with the surface scratches. I am aware the blade is somewhat tired and just wanted a sword that was of modern papers to research and admire until I can afford to move on to more prestigious blades. The only reason I commented on the length is that I could not find a single blade to have been shortened to that extent from this school. Most were around 26cm or longer which I thought to be somewhat strange. I paid only 1200 for the blade. 

6 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Jonas,

I am happy for you that the KISSAKI is not damaged. For most collectors the KISSAKI is "the face" of a sword blade!

26 cm are about 10 inches. I am assuming you were meaning to write inches.

Correct 😂, I did mean inches not cm thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..