Old Tanto for sale

I am brand new to your cool site. I have inherited what is supposed to be a very old Tanto from my recently deceased father. He was given this by his landlord while stationed in Japan (Osaka area?) in 1954. There is writing on the wood. Appears to possibly be Yoshimichi? The gentleman who gifted it to my father wrote "700 year" on it in 1954. I truly do not know the worth of this but I am certain that members here do. The closed unit is just over 12" and the blade is 7 1/4". Pics below.

I am in North Carolina and would like to sell this to whomever sees the value. Please let me know if there are simple questions and if I am proceeding properly.

Mark 

Tanto1.jpg

Tanto2.jpg

Tanto3.jpg

Tanto4.jpg

Appears to be signed Yoshimitsu. There was a well known individual who signed this way (Toshiro Yoshimitsu) and a lineage in Tosa of Yoshimitsu. Either way, this is koto. My suggestion is to have the sword evaluated (sent to shinsa for papers) and please note that you should not do anything to clean or remove rust on your own. Most especially, do not remove rust from the tang to try and improve readability, it can be read as it is.

yoshimitsu.jpg

• Like 8

Tosa Yoshimitsu was a very long lineage with many Muromachi generations, the first one was probably the very end of Kamakura though. Its hard to judge but the blade does seem to have strong masame, and Yoshimitsu's work do tend towards strong masame. Thickness of kasane (back ridge) is a strong kantei point for Yoshimitsu and can also help with understanding which generation it is. So far everything looks good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..