Wanting any info on this sword for a newbie

Hi everyone, Long story short I’m looking for information on a sword that me and my grandfather had acquired years ago at a yard sale. I do want to clarify that I have little to no knowledge of Japanese sword smiths and terminology and have only ever collected American military knives and pocket knives. We had purchased this sword from an elderly gentleman and he said it had been sitting in his garage for a number of years and had no real knowledge of it and asked $10 for it. After inspecting the sword at home I realized it had some age to it and noticed the signature on the tang. I realize that it has seen better days and can probably be professionally restored. From what I can gather from google translate is appears to be made by Nobuhide? I’m really just trying to get any information I can and if it would be worth restoring or just left alone. Thanks 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Mei looks to be 栗原謙司信秀

Kurihara Kenji Nobuhide? Some other experienced people will chime in with much more information.

If you could post more pictures of the entire blade, it would be helpful. Also measurements.

I apologize it appears to be difficult to upload any pictures of quality on this platform but here are a few more. If anyone would like better and lager pictures emailed to them I can do that but for here this will be the best I can do. Thank you, and appreciate any information.   Cutting length is approximately 26 inches, the total length is approximately 33 1/2 inches. 

image.png

IMG_4686.jpeg

IMG_4685.jpeg

IMG_4676.jpeg

Tyler,

you may have already researched this:

Kurihara Nobuhide is one of the greatest Japanese master sword smiths from the end of the Samurai Period. Although his fame is sometimes overshadowed by his teacher - a legendary smith - Yamaura Kiyomaro, the swords Nobuhide made for Meiji Emperor and the Holly Mirror of the Yasukuni Shrine are the proof of the highest level of sword making of the period. This book contains over 40 Nobuhide's masterpieces and also several Holly Mirrors from his local shrines and Kiyomaro School's works. Noboru Toyama lives in Sanjo/Niigata - Nobuhide's homeland. He is also the best researcher of Kurihara Nobuhide's work in Japan.

and read this:

Japanese Sword Katana Signed by Kurihara Nobuhide with NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon Certificate

This blade was signed by Kurihara Kenji Nobuhide (栗原謙司信秀) in the 4th year of the Ansei era (1857: The end of the Edo period).

Nobuhide was born in Echigo province (today’s Nigata prefecture) in the 12th year of the Bunka era (1815).
In the 12th year of the Bunsei era (1829), he moved to Kyoto and became a famous mirror craftsman. Eventually, he relocated to Edo city (today’s Tokyo) to become an apprentice of Kiyomaro in the third year of the Ka-Ei era (1850). Nobuhide was about 34-35 years old when he first studied sword-forging techniques from Kiyamaro, one of the most skilled and renowned swordsmiths at the end of the Edo period. Kiyomaro was just two years older than Nobuhide back then.
He was so talented that he mastered superb craftsmanship from Kiyomaro in less than three years. Nobuhide was treated as Kiyomaro’s No1 apprentice.

Nobuhide became an independent swordsmith in the fifth year of the Ka-Ei era (1852). In the first year of the Keio era (1865), he received an honorable official title Chikuzen no Kami (筑前守) from the emperor Komei. He stayed in Sagami province (today’s Kanagawa prefecture) during 1853-1854. And he resided in Osaka between 1864-1867.

In his early career, he signed Nobuhide (信秀) and then changed it to Kurihara Kenji Nobuhide (栗原謙司信秀). And lastly, he signed Taira Nobuhide (平信秀).

Nobuhide was active between 1852-1877 (the 5th year of Ka-Ei~10th year of the Meiji era). He is known as one of the three masters of the sword-forging at the end of the Edo period. The other two are Gassan Sadakazu and Honjo Yoshitane. Nobuhide is considered one of the top-tier swordsmiths among Japanese sword experts and collectors.

Even after the Samurai era ended in 1868, Nobuhide kept forging swords. And in the second year of the Meiji era (1869: post Samurai era), he was requested by the emperor Meiji to forge a ceremonial sword, which was considered one of the highest honors for any swordsmiths.
The Meiji government also ordered him to create three divine mirrors and a holy blade for a newly built shrine called Shokonsha (today’s Yasukuni shrine).
Shokonsha was built to honor the spirits of those who died during the civil war at the end of the Edo period. This fact suggests that Nobuhide was one of Japan’s most respected and acknowledged swordsmiths. He finished this project in the 7th year of the Meiji era (1874). And,
he came back to Echigo province and restarted making mirrors for shrines. He died at the of 66 in his house in Tokyo.

We are confident you will appreciate his exceptionally high level of craftsmanship from this blade.

This blade is appraised as a Tokubetsu Hozon Token(特別保存刀剣) issued by NBTHK(Nihon Bijutsu Touken Hozon Kyokai:日本美術刀剣保存協会). This authentication paper was only given to authentic Japanese swords, especially well preserved and high quality with artistic value.

In case the signature was genuine, you may get 1.000 times in a re-sale what you paid for the sword. But before that, it will have to go into the hands of a GOOD traditionally trained polisher (TOGISHI), get a new SHIRA SAYA, and go to SHINSA for certification. 

All this will cost some money, but it may be justified. It might be the typical diamond in the rough!

• Like 7

Dear Tyler.

While you are working things out it is important that you don't clean anything, some light oil on the blade is all.  The tsuba looks very nice and this was once a nicely mounted sword.

Go slow on this one.

All the best.

• Like 6

Guest Simon R

This is your signature on the left against a Tokubetsu Hozon papered blade by 信秀 Nobuhide on the right.

Get ready for the private messages saying "Ooh it's a fake signature but I love the fittings so I'd be willing to take it off your hands for a couple of grand".

Sit tight.

IMG_5805.jpeg

What Jean wrote from his deep valley. A genuine Kurihara Nobuhide sword could be worth significant money, so I wouldn't rush into anything that might damage your sword. Despite the well-intentioned opinions you will receive here, nothing is conclusive until the sword has been appraised for authenticity by an expert panel (shinsa), preferably the NBTHK in Tokyo. Proper restoration (polishing) and shinsa will require substantial investment of money and time, so I'd go slow and beware of recommended shortcuts. Check out Grey's guidelines on how to care for it, and "less is more" should be the mantra.

My $0.02

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 1:13 AM, Rivkin said:

No idea about the signature, but I don't like the horimono.

You don't need to like it.

The horimono is in accordance with some of Kurihara Nobuhide's works.

reinhard

• Like 2
  • Love 1

What I was saying was:

The horimono is WITHIN RANGE of SOME of Kurihara Nobuhide's works.

His horimono include a wide variety of subjects and he never executed the same horimono in the exact same style twice.

The horimono in question shows many elements of different dragon-horimono he made.

All in all the blade is interesting and should not be easily disregarded.

reinhard

Nobuhide.Horimono.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 11:37 AM, Tmatth94 said:

I’m really just trying to get any information I can and if it would be worth restoring or just left alone.

Being a signed sword, the first step is to have the mei verified. Check with the Northern California Japanese Sword Club ... http://www.ncjsc.org/ ... to find out when, and if, they may be hosting a shinsa. In the meantime, in addition to the NCJSC there are a good number of very knowledgeable collector/dealers in California to consult with further about this sword. Opinions generally come cheap. Once the signature is verified, then, the next step is a full restoration if desired.

You can also check here on this message board for other shinsa events being held around the U.S. .

Further, you might want to consider having what is termed a "window" opened on this sword. A window is having a short section of the sword polished. This will not only give you a look at what and how a full polish will come out, it will also give the shinsa team a more complete picture to base their decision/judgment upon. Which is important, especially on a "big" name call.

A polisher in general will usually be willing to squeeze in the time to open a window on a sword even with their busy schedule. 

https://www.nihontoc..._Sword_Polisher.html

Regards,

• Like 1

I'm wondering nobody asked for a picture of the opposite side of the nakago yet.

Kurihara Nobuhide always engraved a nengo ("date") on the sashi ura of his long blades.

So Tyler, could you please provide us with a pic of the reverse side of the tang?

reinhard

• Like 3

Thanks Tyler,

That's good news.

Chandler's translation is correct and the style of engraving is in accordance with Nobuhide's work.

Good luck and take good care (of the blade and of yourself).

reinhard

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..