New wakizashi

Jonas Ne

I just recently purchased this wakizashi for a pretty low price. Wondering what you can tell me about it. The wakizashi is about 21 inches long and is unsigned. I will soon post pictures of the nakago but the shirasaya is quite difficult to remove.

Screenshot_20240119_103306_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240119_103312_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240119_103434_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240119_103329_Gallery.jpg

Hard to tell with the pitting, kind of see something maybe a long the edge but cant say for sure.

Anyways, your blade reminds me of a Katate-Uchi type from the Muromachi, mass production for war.  Jussi put some dimensions up years ago that were listed in Kantei-Zenshu as Katate-uchi. One mentioned at 53cm, roughly the same blade length as yours.  Do a search you will find that thread.

It might be Bizen, maybe Mino Sue-Seki. On another note ive read that some Bungo swords are often very similar to Bizen, that's another story

I said Sue-Seki because the Shinogi-ji is definitely masame and there is a coarse mokume in the hada (as described in Connoisseurs). In that book Sue-Seki is also described as having a "black" jigane without being bluish. I cant tell from the images for sure but that's the impression I'm getting. In hand i would know.

What you have is an Antique sword in reasonable polish with the details that can be seen

If it was cheap i think you did ok.

I would say buy some books, you will appreciate what you have more if you become better informed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alex A said:

Hard to tell with the pitting, kind of see something maybe a long the edge but cant say for sure.

Anyways, your blade reminds me of a Katate-Uchi type from the Muromachi, mass production for war.  Jussi put some dimensions up years ago that were listed in Kantei-Zenshu as Katate-uchi. One mentioned at 53cm, roughly the same blade length as yours.  Do a search you will find that thread.

It might be Bizen, maybe Mino Sue-Seki. On another note ive read that some Bungo swords are often very similar to Bizen, that's another story

I said Sue-Seki because the Shinogi-ji is definitely masame and there is a coarse mokume in the hada (as described in Connoisseurs). In that book Sue-Seki is also described as having a "black" jigane without being bluish. I cant tell from the images for sure but that's the impression I'm getting. In hand i would know.

What you have is an Antique sword in reasonable polish with the details that can be seen

If it was cheap i think you did ok.

I would say buy some books, you will appreciate what you have more if you become better informed.

Thank you so much! I will do more research into the things you mentioned. I paid $430 for the blade. It came with shirasaya but the saya was split down the middle but I repaired it yesterday with rice glue and it looks good as new. Do you have any particular books you recommend purchasing? I am new to this hobbie and would like to become more knowledgeable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..