Dai Token Ichi dates for 2024

Greetings in 2024 sword friends,

Time to feed your dragons!

The dates established by the Zen Tosho Kumiai (National Commercial Sword Traders Association) for the Dai Token Ichi in 2024 will be Saturday November 2nd and Sunday, November 3rd. These dates are a few weeks earlier than the past year. As a member of the association, I hope you find these dates convenient and that you can begin making your travel arrangements if you wish to attend this amazing annual exhibition/sale.  In a follow up message later, I will provide details of the extra events that I will arrange around this time.

Best Regards,

Robert Hughes

Keichodo

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 7 months later...
On 1/16/2024 at 2:46 AM, Keichodo said:

Greetings in 2024 sword friends,

Time to feed your dragons!

The dates established by the Zen Tosho Kumiai (National Commercial Sword Traders Association) for the Dai Token Ichi in 2024 will be Saturday November 2nd and Sunday, November 3rd. These dates are a few weeks earlier than the past year. As a member of the association, I hope you find these dates convenient and that you can begin making your travel arrangements if you wish to attend this amazing annual exhibition/sale.  In a follow up message later, I will provide details of the extra events that I will arrange around this time.

Best Regards,

Robert Hughes

Keichodo

Hello Robert,

Do you think the Dai Token Ichi will also be earlier in 2025? When are the dates decided for the upcoming year?

For those who have attended DTI, is this a good venue to find quality Koto blades? Are the prices generally retail level? Will the dealers ship internationally or is it better to take back to Europe as checked luggage in an appropriate case? I plan to fly Singapore airlines and the reason I mention this is that I think JAL will not check blades. 

The 2023 show had 70 vendors which is mind boggling. Seems like a far better way to visit many different dealers without having to visit each location individually. And then if a dealer has something special at their shop, they could be visited in person. 

It will take several weeks to "de-register" the sword and to acquire the necessary export permit, so unless you are staying in Japan for a few months, it won't be possible to bring it back. You'll have to rely on the dealer to arrange this for you. But most dealers will be familiar with the routine, and I think most of them will be happy to sell you a blade and arrange the export for you. 

30 minutes ago, SteveM said:

It will take several weeks to "de-register" the sword and to acquire the necessary export permit, so unless you are staying in Japan for a few months, it won't be possible to bring it back. You'll have to rely on the dealer to arrange this for you. But most dealers will be familiar with the routine, and I think most of them will be happy to sell you a blade and arrange the export for you. 

Ah yes, forgot about the export permit. Thanks for the reminder.

Here’s what Robert Hughes emailed me earlier this week:

Tokyo DTI Additional Events For 2024

1) Sword Study Session at Cinq on Thursday, October 31st..

On Thursday, October 31st, there will be a sword study and dinner party again in Ginza at the Italian Restaurant Cinq (same venue as previous years). Location is quite convenient. Participant fee is yen 5,000 (for the venue) and the dinner party will be sponsored by Mr. Hisashi Saito of Seikodo. Once again, the date will be Thursday Nov. 16th. Arrival time will be from 5:30 p.m. for the sword study. Discussion of swords at 6:30 and the dinner party will follow the sword study at around 7:15 ... Attendance by advance reservation only. 

Cinq - Access 

For the Thursday study session, it is very easy to find the venue "Cinq" from inside the Metro System (subway). You go to Ginza Station (on the Ginza line), then go up one level from the platform to the underground concourse and find the B-6 exit. The restaurant/club is called Cinq and it is half way up the exit stairwell. So, you don't even have to exit onto street level, it is right inside the metro underground network. It is very convenient....no long walk or need for a taxi. Pay participant fee on arrival at the venue. 

The actual street address for Cinq is Ginza 5-4-3 Taikakukan B1 which is the building with the B6 subway entrance, so go down the first flight of subway entrance stairs and you will find Cinq at the first stair landing.

Cinq address: 東京都中央区銀座 5-4-3 対鶴館 B1 104-0061

Taikakukan B1, 5-4-3 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo

cinq - Access -

2) Saturday, Nov. 2nd Yakatabune Tokyo Bay Cruise.....

Arrangements: This event is being planned for Saturday, November 2nd! As in the past, participants would leave from in front of DTI (Tokyo Bijitsu Club) at 6:30 p.m. Cruise to start from 7:00 p.m. Participation by advance reservation only. Notification to attend is also a commitment to pay if event is held...Cost yen 12,000 per participant (tax included).   

If you plan on going directly to the venue for boat boarding without riding the bus, please notify me in advance as I do a head count prior to the bus departure.

Participation will be by advance reservation only.  Reservations are finalized 48 hours prior to the event. No cancellations after reservation commitment please…Notification to attend is also a commitment to pay. Cost yen 12,000 per participant (including sales tax) to be paid by 12:00 noon at the DTI.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2024 at 11:18 AM, Lewis B said:

For those who have attended DTI, is this a good venue to find quality Koto blades? Are the prices generally retail level? Will the dealers ship internationally or is it better to take back to Europe as checked luggage in an appropriate case? I plan to fly Singapore airlines and the reason I mention this is that I think JAL will not check blades. 

JAL will transport swords with proper paperwork in either direction — at least between the United States and Japan. Obviously, they must be checked. I am not sure if a hard case is required, but I have always done it that way.