Shozui Tsuba with Motif of Horse Farts?

Infinite_Wisdumb

Two Chinese sages

Chō Ka Rō (張果老) who travels on a horse or mule that he essentially dissolves every night, and revives every morning by pouring water on it. 

Handaka Sonja (半托迦尊者) who I think conjures a dragon out of an incense bowl. 

Its a kind of mixing up of sages and beliefs, because Chō Ka Ro is a Taoist sage, and Handaka Sonja is a Buddhist disciple, originating in India. Anyway, despite the odd pairing, it authenticated (Tokubetsu Hozon) and the hakogaki is from Ogura Souemon, and looks to be in good condition, so the price is probably fair. Maybe a special order piece? 

Edit: Thinking more about this: the price seems very reasonable for a Shozui piece with TH certification. Especially with the exchange rate for JPY being so low. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

If there are any file extensions that you can't upload, let me know and I'll add them. Trying to restrict things like .heic
I may have missed some. Screenshot should be .jpeg?

1 hour ago, Brian said:

If there are any file extensions that you can't upload, let me know and I'll add them. Trying to restrict things like .heic
I may have missed some. Screenshot should be .jpeg?

Ha worked now.🙏

2 hours ago, Infinite_Wisdumb said:

Amazing knowledge of history

Haha  - "amazing browsing skills" would be closer to the truth. Well, being able to read (usually) the hakogaki is also a big help. I've been looking at a ton of tsuba and hakogaki recently, and I recognized the horse coming out of the gourd and the name 張果老, but I still had to do a bit of browsing to sort them out. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, SteveM said:

Haha  - "amazing browsing skills" would be closer to the truth. Well, being able to read (usually) the hakogaki is also a big help. I've been looking at a ton of tsuba and hakogaki recently, and I recognized the horse coming out of the gourd and the name 張果老, but I still had to do a bit of browsing to sort them out. 

I thought the guy was capturing horse farts IN the gourd LOLOL

• Haha 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..