Help Identifying a Friend's Gunto

A close friend of mine bought this sword quite a few years ago and doesn't know it's history beyond it being a type 98.  I am trying to help him out.  I apologize for the orientation of the pictures with the bare blade and that there are no better pictures of the blade or hamon.  The damage to the saya is from a bullet strike!  It looks like the bullet skimmed off the blade when it struck!  Any help in mei translation or information about dating would be greatly appreciated.

Gunto1a.jpg

Gunto2a.jpg

Gunto3a.jpg

Gunto4a.jpg

Gunto5a.jpg

Gunto6a.jpg

Gunto7a.jpg

• Like 2

This is the swordsmith's signature

濃州関住村山国次   written in a highly stylized way. 

Nōshū Seki-jū Murayama Kunitsugu. It means "MURAYAMA Kunitsugu of Seki city in Nōshū province made this". Nōshū province is present-day Gifu prefecture. It was made circa 1938-1945. 

The writing is quite difficult to decipher. Take a look at the attached thread which shows a sword with the same signature. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..