Kamon (motifs and shapes) of tsuba.

Dan tsuba

So, all-

I am certain many of you know of this.  But it is fairly new to me, so I thought I would post the information for other newer members.

I purchased (rather recently) a book on kamon designs.  I used it and referred to it on the “16 petal chrysanthemum tsuba” thread.

The book is titled “Handbook of Designs and Motifs” introduction by P.K. Thomajan, Tudor Publishing Company, 1950.  It shows nearly 7000 kamon!

I found that many of the tsuba in my collection, which I thought just had a nice motif or shape, could be representations of family kamon!  Personally, I find it quite amazing how many of my tsuba are shaped or have motifs that could represent a family kamon.

I have included some pictures of my tsuba with the corresponding picture in the kamon book.

I probably could have found more examples, but I got tired “flipping” through the pages of the book!

The adventure continues!

With respect,

Dan

kamon 1.JPG

kamon 1a.JPG

kamon 2.JPG

kamon 2a.JPG

kamon 3.JPG

kamon 3a.JPG

kamon 4.JPG

kamon 4a.JPG

kamon 5.JPG

kamon 5a.JPG

kamon 6.JPG

kamon 6a.JPG

• Like 5

In Edo period books with collections of kamon were published and those were a source of inspiration for the Tsuba makers.

It is possible, that indiviuals purchased such a Tsuba because it shows the personal mon. But I dare to doubt that was the intention of the tsubako. At least everyone could buy and wear these.

There are formal sword fittings which have the function to show the kamon and thus the family representing, but these were Kinko works. Daimyo and Samurai wore them on special occasions.

BTW: It seems to be an interesting question at which point a motif could be called kamon. The lobster Tsuba for instance show IMHO no kamon - sometimes lobsters are just lobsters…

Best,
Florian

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I see it the same way as Florian.

On the one hand, there are koshirae who show or have to show kamon/futsuumeishi on formal and official occasions.

On the other hand, we have the fashions of "urban bourgeois culture", or even those who follow these fashions. These are purely decorative aspects without any deeper meaning. It's just meant to please. You can see certain identical designs on tsuba in different qualities in order to be able to serve a broad clientele.
Of course, some tsuba may have a direct connection to a clan. But often people simply wore what they liked - which is the main purpose of an uchigatana koshirae in civilian life. It is a calling card of the wearer's status, aesthetic taste, education or simply certain preferences within the social rules of the time.

At least that's my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

I am still chuckling about the Earp family  (or Twerp as it was called) tsuba!

Anyway, upon research, the 5-pointed star theme is a kamon (picture included).

I have a 6-pointed star type tsuba in my collection (picture shown).  That motif is also a kamon (picture included).

What is interesting in the last picture included here,  I found a page which also shows the “thread and spool” motif as a kamon.

I never knew what that design was until I read that great thread (listed below).

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/47066-thread-and-spool-tsuba-pictures/#comment-488085

Onward!

With respect,

Dan

star 2.JPG

star tsuba.JPG

star 3.JPG

star and spool 1.JPG

• Like 2

Well, my friends-

Added with my previous posts, this just about does it for my collection of kamon tsuba!  Pictures of tsuba and corresponding picture in kamon book displayed.

Throughout my posts, I have tried to only display tsuba that have a kamon shape or a large kamon incorporated in the motif (I also have several tsuba that display small kamon or parts therof – but felt no need to include those here).

Onward!

With respect,

Dan

kamon 7.JPG

kamon 7a.JPG

kamon 8.JPG

kamon 8a.JPG

kamon 9.JPG

kamon 9a.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Dan for showing the other kamons linked to the silk spools - I noticed one eight point "star" with clipped points that matches a tanto guard I have. It may well have started life with a rim as the images show but I can at least think it still may represent that kamon now.  

image.thumb.png.a8997d376fcbaf8a810ada579c4d1ba5.png

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..