16 petal chrysanthemum tsuba

Dan tsuba

Well I think these 12,14,16 etc. petal kiku are just not trying hard enough - one of mine has 32 petals so is that twice as good? :)

Waka size 74 x 68 x 4 mm  100g  - Impossible to tell its age but it has a very old feel to it. [The image is lightened, it is much darker in real life]

The imperial Chrysanthemum is misleading as it shows 16 petals prominently but there are another 16 hidden at the back with just the tips showing. image.png.13b26ce01fa781e53c26914d043121fe.png

https://aminoapps.co...Mpoo0kKz7aL0NoLEmjDe

w imida kiku.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yes, there are kamon associated with the imperial family.

And yes, there are reams of tsuba in numerous kikugata shapes available for all who wanted one. Tsubako were inspired by forms, created fashion, copied other works - at least to sell their products. That’s why so different styles and qualities were produced. The chrysantemum shape is first of all just no more than a common decoration on the rim of Tsuba.

So in my eyes it is very speculative to connect the kikugata with the emperor and his relatives.

Wearing a crown I become not a member of the royal family (not even Freddy Mercury)!

Best,
Florian

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I love to drop the odd pic in, every now and then. I have a couple of Kiku guards, but here is one I have been asked to add as it is a 12 petal example, not too different to those referred to as San Diego Tsuba.

20231231_122633.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So, my friends.

I would like to clarify something.

I agree with many of you that in my initial post to this thread I had stated an incorrect conclusion.

On a later post to this thread, (taking into account all the great posts from members) I adjusted my initial premise.  I quote that post here-

“So, to quote what you asked me-

“So Dan, what you seem to be driving at is that the tsuba in your possession could only have been owned by someone within - or closely associated with - the Japanese imperial family because of the 16 petal design.

Is that correct?”

No, my friend, that is not correct!  At first, I thought that my 16 petal kiku tsuba could have been used by someone closely associated with the imperial family because the 16 petal kiku mon could only be used by the imperial family.  But I was wrong (again!), although it continued my line of inquiry and investigation into the 16 petal kiku tsuba.

I also discovered that the 14 petal kiku mon (tsuba?) was used by the imperial princes.

Could some (or a few) extant 16 petal and 14 petal kiku tsuba have been used by the imperial family or someone closely associated with them?

I think “yes”.  I think that is a definite possibility and not completely unrealistic.

However, how can one tell if it was used by the imperial family (or someone associated with them) or who used it?  There is probably no way to confirm any such thing!

The 16 (and 14) petal kiku tsuba are just another interesting area in the adventure of tsuba collecting!

With respect,

Dan”

Anyway, it seems that this thread has generated some interest in the kiku type tsuba.  Hey, I think that is a good thing!

With respect,

Dan

• Like 4

Guest Simon R
7 hours ago, Dan tsuba said:

Hello all!

I know this is somewhat off topic, but I just wanted to share!

This is a copper tsuba in my collection.

Chrysanthemums all around!  Hurrah!!

With respect,

Dan

IMG_3595.JPG

I can't see it myself. 🤔

It looks like paper umbrellas in a Takarazuka Revue lineup - or possibly a circle of simian mammaries?

Yes, Florian

You are correct and I was wrong!  I thought they represented chrysanthemums, but they represent pines like you stated -

"Obviously pines - short stems at the axes, tufts of needles arranged circular."

This morning, I saw a similiar tsuba being sold in Japan that described the motif as pine.  That led me to an internet search and there was another tsuba with similar motif also described as pine.

So, I learned something new (again).  Hurrah!

With respect,

Dan

• Like 1

Thought you might like the following - 17 petal, with the upper one on one side altered from 17 to 18 petals.  The theory my teacher had was this was an Imperial reward to Mori Motonari, who financed the Imperial ascension ceremonies around 1560, and the one mon altered to 18 petals was to show no assumption of imperial dignities or ongoing rights to use the imperial mon which was granted by the Emperor he aided.  That alteration, 2 petals removed and 3 inserted, was certainly done after the original creation of the tsuba.  Markus Sesko says that the 17 petal was an urba legend.  Unfortunately, the reverse side was too large, so I will try to diminish it, or at least the altered portion, in a follow up.

20191022_134036 (1).jpg

• Like 5

Guest Simon R

Dan,

This thread/article by the late, great Nick Komiya helps explain the symbolism of the chrysanthemum.

Particularly interesting is the fact that it was stamped onto Meiji period rifles to stop troops from discarding their weapon when they ran away (a common occurrence apparently)! With the chrysanthemum in situ, such an action would have been a grave and direct personal insult to the Emperor.

This would suggest that, in so far as the chrysanthemum's imperial symbolism, it was almost certainly showing an open allegiance to the Emperor rather than any familial connections to him.

https://www.warrelic...ing-sun-star-598541/

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread, Kiku is certianly a very popular theme for tsuba.

Here is one of mine, a Ko-Kinko Yamagane Kiku-Gata tsuba with 28 petals, which dates to the mid Muromachi period.

Tom

10.jpeg

• Like 6

Here is a favorite Kiku tsuba of mine I traded to Skip Holbrook for a NBTHK papered Higo Kinko tsuba  a few years ago. The size was exceptionally large, and the iron was extremely nice and had a great feel in hand. It measures 10.3 cm (4.1 inches) wide by 10.4 cm (4.01 inches) high.  It is 6.6 mm (0.3 inches) at the rim and gently thins toward the middle.

EM1.2.jpg

Edited by Soshin
Added measurements.
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

I think this would run as 'manhole cover' in Japan.....

Jean, I think it might have been used for a shower floor waste cover - that would explain the rust. [and the hair and dirt that was on it!] :o

image.png.174408416545af446cb0d317e27a6b1f.png   They had bigger drains in the Edo period! :laughing:   

It is on a stand in my lounge room - I like to watch the spiders build their webs in it - it keeps the flies down.  :offtopic:

• Haha 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..