Shinsoku the Smith Reality or Fantasy

Asking the Board to educate me if this Smith actually existed or just fantasy. I  saw a post of a Kamakura blade which I assume is a Commemorative to the spirit of the Smith Shinsoku. Is there any solid proof or just unicorns and pixie dust dreams of any surviving blades. Hawley rates him 5000 but I know how reliable Hawley can be and take that with a grain of salt. Respond with your thoughts be it fantasy or reality on this Legendary Smith

I got bit caught up on researching as I also found out very interesting ōdachi by accident (that I didn't know about before) while searching correct info on Shinsoku (神息) blades I have info on. Here are the legitimate Shinsoku blades I am aware of, however none of these are by the ancient smith but more likely followers of the lineage. I am lucky to have collected amazing books that have a lot of info and doing research is so fun. :)

Tachi signed Shinsoku (神息), Jūyō Bijutsuhin, Oita Prefecture Bunkazai, in the collection of Usa Jingū. I believe this one is seen as Early Kamakura period work.

20231128_190837.thumb.jpg.304881b270142f4bd58ff194e3be31c2.jpg

Tachi signed Shinsoku (神息), the origin of this one is bit of unclear to me but it was discussed by Honma Junji in Tōken Bijutsu 381 in his series. If I understood correctly this could be Aizu Matsudaira provenance but I believe it was said more research is needed. I believe this one is seen as Kamakura period work.

20231128_190847.thumb.jpg.4b7e40ea29ee4fdcb4744f85384e9006.jpg

Tanto signed Shinsoku (神息), Jūyō 14, in the collection of Sano Art Museum. This one is seen as Late Kamakura period work.

20231128_190917.thumb.jpg.d89f8edb1bf9f2ebbbd8dce056f7b95b.jpg

Katana orikaeshi-mei Shinki (神気), Jūyō 52, Nagasaki Prefecture Bunkazai, Matsudaira Provenance, Owned by Shimabara City. I believe this one is seen as Middle Kamakura period work.

20231128_190940.thumb.jpg.738dc56989f045ff1c89c5c3a6161078.jpg

Then there is Shinsoku tachi that was in the collection of Sumiyoshi Taisha, I have only found reference from an old book and I believe it's current location is unknown.

SumiyoshiTaisha.thumb.jpg.c68ee6e43b2abfcbd30d92041cba7383.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..