First Katana, what do you think ….

BertD

Hello to all on the site. First time posting, and virgin katana buyer….Would like to reserve this and see it next week for possible purchase. Always wanted a katana. My last of 3 weapon wants is a Katana. I recently gifted myself a budget for a Shiloh Sharps black powder 45-70, a Colt 45, and a Katana. Have the firearms now, and last to add a Katana.

Been reading up here and ordering a few books recommended here.

On 11/14/2023 at 7:38 PM, BertD said:

Been reading up here and ordering a few books recommended here.

Grey Doffin has  great website for additional books, if you are looking for more.

This looks to be a nice piece. I can tell you that most of us had some horrible "first pieces". Out of polish, slightly rusted or stained, no papers, etc. I won't tell you how to spend your money, but will say, you are on the right path...looking at papered examples from reputable dealers. Just keep in mind, there are reputable dealers here in the USA that have papered, quality items. Lastly, please understand that IF you buy a Nihonto in Japan, you cannot just pay for it, walk out of the store and come home with it.

Each sword has a torokusho (registration card) filed with the local Prefectural Education Board. If change in ownership is to occur, (you buy it) the seller sends the proper transfer of ownership paperwork and the torokusho to the Education Board. The board reviews the information (2-3 weeks) and issues an export license to the seller. Only then can the seller ship to the USA or allow you to go straight to the airport with it.

Wishing you all the best!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, DTM72 said:

Lastly, please understand that IF you buy a Nihonto in Japan, you cannot just pay for it, walk out of the store and come home with it.

Each sword has a torokusho (registration card) filed with the local Prefectural Education Board. If change in ownership is to occur, (you buy it) the seller sends the proper transfer of ownership paperwork and the torokusho to the Education Board. The board reviews the information (2-3 weeks) and issues an export license to the seller. Only then can the seller ship to the USA or allow you to go straight to the airport with it.

Wishing you all the best!

The export permit took slightly more than 4 weeks on my last sword purchase. YMMV

• Like 1

Permits are the last thing anyone should be thinking about. 

Koshirae is on the scale of poor for a TH sword. 

Suriagi  - Shorted 

Shirasaya - Check out the other NEW Shirasaya on other of there listings. Same .....

Polish* Looks just like other shinto listings on the same page with the same new Shirasaya . Poor ......

Papers- I don't look at them for this very reason. They didn't mismark the price. It's twice as low as it shoud be for a reason. 

Looking at it in hand isn't going to help much respectively, because you don't have an idea what your looking at. 

Remember, they are in the business to sell. This is a shrewd business.  

• 3 weeks later...

Bert, You are getting good advice here. You are doing the right things before making the decision to buy, like buying books and joining this wonderful forum. There is a Facebook group devoted to traditionally made Japanese swords. See  https://www.facebook...ups/1728933930663768.  Also in just two months there is the Las Vegas Traditional Japanese Sword Show. These are  some ways to further your education.  Good hunting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How did this sword get a Tokubetsu hozon ?  (Condition?? Or wazamono)

Shortend kanbun shinto..... 

If your budget is in the 10k plus and live in the US. Pleeease don't rush in a and buy this. You have the opportunity to actually go to shows and handle them, a big market too. Then shop around more on Japanese sites and find something you'd like. 

Regards 

9 hours ago, Paz said:

How did this sword get a Tokubetsu hozon ?  (Condition?? Or wazamono)

Shortend kanbun shinto..... 

If your budget is in the 10k plus and live in the US. Pleeease don't rush in a and buy this. You have the opportunity to actually go to shows and handle them, a big market too. Then shop around more on Japanese sites and find something you'd like. 

Regards 

So, I think it's mainly the smith factor (several juyo from him), so his blades get the nod.

Remember, the NBTHK criteria states (translated):

Edo period works by less famous smiths with mid or lower grade workmanship may not receive Tokubetsu Hozon paper.

^ to me that implies mid-grade examples by more famous smiths may get Tokubetsu Hozon. Has that happened here?

Guest Simon R
54 minutes ago, Alex A said:

Totally agree, feels like someone moved the goal post.

Absolutely. Even Showa Yasukunito can get TH now - and a sayagaki thrown in.

Shocking loss of standards.

Its a pity no one has started a topic regarding folks thoughts on the subject.

I'm not talking about the sword above as not really looked at it

When you start seeing average Shinshinto waks by average smiths with TH you got toi start thinking what's going on ?

In fact, il start a topic rather than carry on here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex A said:

Its a pity no one has started a topic regarding folks thoughts on the subject.

I'm not talking about the sword above as not really looked at it

When you start seeing average Shinshinto waks by average smiths with TH you got toi start thinking what's going on ?

In fact, il start a topic rather than carry on here

I was about to start one Alex last week, as I wanted to know the actual value and criteria for TH. Will be great if you can start it. 

I've seen Tokubetsu hozon by smiths who don't get any mention or are not famous. From the edo period. While I've seen hozon on koto swords which do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..