Help on the value of a damaged Katana

Hello all! I was told that this katana was made by Kawachi No Kami Kunisuke in 1675. It was brought back during WW2 and it is unknown if the damage occurred before or during WW2. Thinking of restoring it. But what does the damage do to the value? What is the value in its current condition? What about the collectibility? IMG_5090.thumb.jpeg.484bbbe578c30c8f91384221a20c90b3.jpeg

IMG_5096.jpeg

Nothing is absolute here, though. To the right person this package could be worth more than a few hundred dollars. You have a blade to study if you want to learn about Kunisuke and/or Shintō blades in general, and in another collecting field you have a piece of WWII memorabilia with the romantic notion of bullet damage. Plenty of plus factors! 
A future owner might even consider reshaping this katana into a wakizashi, for example. How long is it?

Interesting puzzle, thanks for posting.

Kyle, how about a closeup photo of the signature, please??  If its a shodai Kunisuke has anyone ever thought of a KINTSUGI process for restoring a good sword as a study piece.  One would have to sink $$$$$ but we sword ffolke are nutty enthusiasts...

BaZZa.

• Haha 1

I think it would nice display with the Fuji and moon in the Hamon. 
The condition of the polish looks not that bad and maybe it could also be a cheaper study piece if the price is correct. (Not sure how the condition of the polish really is) 

I would say the damage is from hitting something hard. The Saya has no hole what makes it more unlikely for me to be hit by a bullet. 
It is Ubu and signed so there is maybe no need for NBTHK papers anyway.

I was wondering about the damage to the blade. Could it have been damaged before the war, and still taken to battle? Is it consistent with hitting another sword or a bullet? Any thoughts on that? I always thought it was from a bullet…

Could we see some closeups of the damage? 

Very doubtful someone would carry a sword with this kind of damage into WW2. I imagine it will be near impossible to tell where the damage came from, whether it’s wartime or afterwards. 

Maybe a Japanese soldier whacked into a rifle barrel. Maybe a kid in the 90s tried to cut a tree down, or slice a metal bar in half

Fun to imagine the cause nonetheless. I would try to ask some militaria/WW2 collectors their thoughts on price 

Best of luck, 
Cheers,

-Sam 

Reminds me of that ww2 cutting through a machine gun barrel tale.

Ps, difficult to price.

Could see this being really appealing to some folks, like $700 appealing.

Sometimes surprising what stuff goes for, put it on Ebay and see,  $300 reserve.

• Like 1

Can't really shorten it, as this would have to happen from the front, which loses the boshi and renders it fatally flawed.
It is, as mentioned, a relic. Someone will want it as a display piece, but any value as a sword is gone. Agree, looks like shrapnel rather than a bullet strike.
Pity, but it is what it is.

• Thanks 1

You have to remember the fittings have value

Just a WAG

Tsuba 200

F/K 100

Menuki 200 if other one is still on the tsuka.

Personally I'd save if for future family to pass it down

Have the ito rewrapped

The $$ you get will be gone faster than the memories of the sword.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..