Muramasa Katana Sayagaki

Hello

I am hoping for translation help with a sayagaki and some accompanying paperwork feom this katana.  I’m also including a picture of the nakago where it looks like a mei has been removed.  It’s hard to see but the steel has a different texture to it and you can just barely see, what I believe to be, the tail-end of a chisel stroke here and there.

Any help with translations or comments is very much appreciated!!

Thank you all,

John

IMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5587.jpeg

IMG_5589.jpeg

IMG_5581.jpeg

IMG_5582.jpeg

Thank you for answering right away Michael!  Do you think that the blade could be a third generation Muramasa?  The nakago doesn’t resemble Sengo Muramasa but resembles other “Muramasa” blades on the internet machine!?  Also the strange area on the nakago looks and feels different as if someone removed the mei.  As for the sayagaki, I thought Inhad given it some time researching it against others.  I didn’t see anything that stood out.  But, I can’t read the kanji so I don’t even know what the words could be guiding me to research.  Here’s a bad photo of a section of the blade that has signs of sunagashi.  I’m definitely a newbie here.

Thanks for all the help!

IMG_5591.jpeg

IMG_5590.jpeg

I guess I’m new enough to collecting that I still believe an amazing sword could slip through the cracks, unnoticed for 500 years, and be so undervalued that I could afford it!  Wish in one hand, s**t in the other.  See which one fills up first!

More pics to look at.  I still like the blade very much and believe it’s worth what I paid for it.  I’m still interested to hear what the sayagaki and paperwork says!

Feel free to poke fun at my mistake! 
Thanks guys!

IMG_5594.jpeg

IMG_5593.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg

That paper was copied from this site below

https://www.nipponto...swords8/NT332147.htm

The paper and the sayagaki both say the sword is a Muramasa. The sayagaki gives the dimensions (2 shaku, 2 sun, 6 bu, 1 rin). Its "signed" by Kunzan (Junji Honma) a famous person in the sword world.  The paper is signed by Hon'ami Kōryō, a sword appraiser from the 1950s.

As everyone says, forget about the dodgy attributions, and focus on the sword. 

• Like 1

I would like to say thank you to all of the replies and information.  It feels good to have a discussion about a blade I own and want to learn more about.  The more I learn, the more I realize how much MORE there is left to learn.  I’m also smiling to think that collecting Nihonto has been happening for 500+ years and I thought I might have purchased an overlooked sword.  It’s probably safe to assume that top tier swords are something you have to pay good money for, not something that you stumble upon.

The photos appear to be from a prolific seller on yahoo.jp auctions that sells many questionable swords (such as this one). His inventory would rival the Tokyo National Museum in terms of masterpieces, although he is nice enough to be flogging these treasures away for pennies on the dollar...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

This is what I refer to as a 

6 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

The photos appear to be from a prolific seller on yahoo.jp auctions that sells many questionable swords (such as this one). His inventory would rival the Tokyo National Museum in terms of masterpieces, although he is nice enough to be flogging these treasures away for pennies on the dollar...

You have to give recognition to this seller. This person has  been around for a long time playing games. If only buys asked about those treasures before buying and not after. :glee:

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..