Kozuka and Kogatana thoughts please

Ron M

Hello again, got these three pieces with their blades.

Please, any info is helpful. I believe the one catfish one is signed Norimitsu(?). The older piece with the scholars on it appears to have different colors of metals including silver and gold (I think ;)

RegardsIMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.12d6abd38f7c670b4469a3d3f5686e8d.jpegIMG_0906.thumb.jpeg.1604b0ebef7c6038b179244fe3d35782.jpegIMG_0908.thumb.jpeg.a99878c92c9e674f3f13ec427b8b4b61.jpegIMG_0909.thumb.jpeg.10d4924c1e43bc4e98563d98fc04ac03.jpegIMG_0916.thumb.png.959469f390fc4ea1f51b7f5e85b05a59.pngIMG_0914.thumb.jpeg.ebe5cac064d99bc4c407feda19783512.jpeg

• Like 2

Ozaki.JPG.ab08accba01a54a03a1bf0b43fe63b89.JPG

尾崎源五右衛門助隆

Ozaki Gengoemon Suketaka  

Difficult to tell if this signature is authentic. Kogatana are often "decorated" with signatures of known smiths just to enhance the appearance/value of the blade.

The blade in the middle one is signed 

平戸包作 

Hirado Kanetsugu saku (Unsure about the "tsugu" character)

As above, best to consider this an "homage" signature. I don't know of a Kanetsugu from Hirado, so that further adds to my uncertainty about the reading. . 

The signature of the kozuka on the right is Toshimitsu (利光). There are maybe ten smiths who used this name, and a bit hard for me to discern which one this is. Virtually all of them (with one or two exceptions) are working at the end of the Edo period. Personally, I think this kozuka is the best of the three posted in this thread. 

The catfish kozuka is interesting, but its had a rough life. 

• Like 4

The Suketaka signature looks indeed a little bit amateurish, there are better examples.
However, the hamon - as far as to recognize - displays Suketaka’s toran-ba comprising a wavy pattern with two tama above.

The motif of the Kozuka shows a famous Zen koan of someone who tries to catch a catfish with a gourd.
The back side shows interesting ornamental strips, maybe to refer to the water theme on the front.
Note the fine nanako surface in comparision to the coarser one on the dragon Kozuka. The dragon itself looks not done well either (sorry to be frank).
The chinese sages kozuka seems to consist of iron with nikubori and inlays of different metals. This technique appears frequently. Not the best quality but neatly done.

Best,

Florian

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 10/3/2023 at 1:27 AM, SteveM said:

The blade in the middle one is signed 

平戸包作 

Hirado Kanetsugu saku (Unsure about the "tsugu" character)

As above, best to consider this an "homage" signature. I don't know of a Kanetsugu from Hirado, so that further adds to my uncertainty about the reading. . 

I think that the mei is 

平戸正久作之 - Masahisa in Hirado made this.

• Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..