Please help identify

Couple of things:

When taking photos use a darker background. Using a white background "tricks" the camera into adjusting the balance to the White opposed to the subject. This results in the subject being too dark (see your photos). Notice how the one photo shot with the wooden table in the background gave a much better photo of the sword. For lighting, try shooting near a bright window using the indirect bright light. Using a flash, incorrect placement or angles of overhead lighting causes washout.

Second in regards to displaying your sword. In it's current condition displaying it as you have it is not going to hurt it. If you were to have it polished at some point, then a better care would be called for. For now, use a soft cloth or unscented tissues and wipe it down with denatured alcohol, then lightly oil it.  A light machine oil such as 3-n-1 or sewing machine oil will work fine.

Inevitably someone will correct me and tell you to only use microfiber cloths for cleaning and oiling and to only use traditional clove oil. Again, if your sword was in new polish or even in older but good polish, then I would give the same advise. Until you have it polished, my recommendations will work fine.

Using a genuine Togishi (sword polisher) is paramount. If you can't afford it, save up until you can, period. Keep in mind that when you polish it you will need a new shirasaya to house it in.  You spoke of devaluing the sword. Having it polished by some half-assed polisher will devalue it faster than any other single thing.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..