Two Owari Tsuba

Steve Waszak

Offered today are two Owari tsuba.  I will provide descriptions for these separately below.

1.  This tsuba depicts a kiri-mon motif designed in such a way as to depict a family crest, in all likelihood.  The tsuba is iron, ji-sukashi, marugata, and dates to the later Momoyama or earliest Edo Period.  Tekkotsu are present in the rim, and the finishing of the sword guard is done in a light tsuchime together with what appears to be yakite here and there.  Dimensions are 78.5 x 77 x 5mm at the rim.  This piece was included in the 2015 Kokusai Tosogu Kai catalogue, 11th International Convention and Exhibition.  $550, plus shipping.

2.  This iron sword guard is papered to Owari, and features a bold cross (ju-mon) design punctuated with inome in ko-sukashi.  The particularly interesting aspect of this piece is that it is a design known to have been favored by the Yagyu, as it appears in the Owari Yagyu daimyo's illustrated inventory of tsuba designs.  And, in fact, the appearance of the metal is reminiscent of Yagyu guards in that the surface has something of the "sandy" or "cloudy" quality associated with Yagyu works, and signs of striated laminations may be seen in places on the rim.  The ju-mon motif has strong associations with the buke, especially in Satsuma Province.  I believe this tsuba dates to the early-Edo Period.  As with the other tsuba offered here, this one was included in the 2015 KTK catalogue.  Dimensions are 73.5 x 69.5 x 5mm at the rim.  Such dimensions are also consistent with Yagyu guards.  $850, plus shipping. 

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Well, buying a published tsuba that is papered to Owari and that has this strong Yagyu connection for $850? Gentleman, I am now focusing on very early tsuba, but this one makes me really jealous! Whoever buys it, will acquire a great tsuba made for a warrior, and not some fat samurai bureaucrat. Great iron, great presence, radiating power, this guard can be a cornerstone of any advanced collection. And it is a real bargain. 

Remember my motto about those tarts passing... This is one real masterpiece tart, and knowing Steve, he will rather keep it than cutting this attractive price further. This gentleman has a keen eye and great knowledge when it comes to this kind of tsuba.

Just go for it, or I will, even if it outside my focus!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had finally found some time to look properly at the my new tsuba and I have to say that it is a very fine specimen. 

I have to develop a taste for old iron and this is the first step... Let's see how it goes. 

Steve was very responsive to my requests. It was a pleasure to deal with him. 

Regards 

Luca

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..