Homemade Tsuba Display Stand

Guest Simon R

Guest Simon R

Hi All,

Long story short. Here in Japan, decent tsuba stands are prohibitively expensive (for me, at least) - especially antique examples. Also, they tend to be a little too gaudy for my tastes.

Therefore, when I found some beautifully grained pieces of very hard rosewood in the Shibuya 'Hands' store (ex 'Tokyu Hands') for around ¥900, I decided to have a crack at it myself.

An extremely simple design but I'm happy with the results.

IMG_1130.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_1133.jpeg

Guest Simon R
7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Perfect for that tsuba.

Are others going to be same size?

Also wondering what need for such a long peg.

I like it very much, and love the wood!

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for the very kind words! 

I have the wood for two more stands - the overall size will remain the same but the peg will be smaller top to bottom.

This example was made specifically for that very wide tsuba (nearly 10cm).

Unfortunately, I'm not a craftsman by any means and the rosewood is super hard so I'm limited by pre-cut pieces from a DIY shop!

(See below)

That also means that I can't lean the facing square piece backwards - resulting in the really long peg to stop the tsuba dropping off in an earthquake!

IMG_1144.jpeg

Searched for months for a tsuba stand and couldn’t find any. The Hanwei ones are discontinued 😢. So I got an idea, I showed oneof my students who is very good with his hands what I was after. This is the result. (and he didn’t charge me a penny). 

CD51C313-609E-41CA-9AF2-FEDE5FC50CEC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..