Help with Tsuba design

BIG

Nothing about the rain raises any suspicion in me. The NBTHK paper states the tsuba theme of "cuckoo and rain", so presumably they thought it was fine. And its a Tokubetsu Hozon paper, so one supposes this was submitted and viewed twice by the NBTHK. The Kanzan hakogaki also looks OK to me. You think there is something suspicious about it?

• Like 1

There is a poem composed by Takahashi no Mushimaro in Man’yoshu. I think it is the origin of the theme. The poem expresses a cuckoo sadly flying and chirping on rainy night. The motif is cuckoo’s loneliness, because it was a brood parasite, and it does not know its real parents.

Ref. Man'yōshū - Wikipedia

Ref. Takahashi no Mushimaro - Wikipedia

kakko.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Lovely looking tsuba Peter, I have a tsuba along the same theme.

The Takahashi No Mushimaro poem certainly seems to be the theme. I've read that the lonley cuckoo often calls in the dark of summer nights, the call is said to sound like someone calling "return home".

I realise there is no moon on your tsuba but I have also read that the Japanese cuckoo is often shown flying across the face of the moon on a rainy night. This image signifies honor and advancement in status, and refers to the story of the samurai Yorimasa defeating the Nue. As Yorimasa was being awarded, a cuckoo flew overhead calling in the night. 

IMG_E6821.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hi Tom its not my tsuba. The only Naotane / Yoshitane TH Tsuba I found..

Thank you for sharing.

Here we have a nice Haiku by Taniguchi Denjo ( 1713-1779 )

Cukoo call-

One evening, into the heart

the rain falls

and Bessho Makiko wrote the Paul Verlaine verse:

Il pleut dans mon cceur / Comme il pleut sur la ville.. / It rains into my heart / like it rains on the city..

from the book HAIKU Gedichte aus fünf Jahrhunderten Reclam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..