Tsuba motif mystery - death? funerals? festivals?

Deez77

This one is a head scratcher. A very unusual, one-off piece from Kinai.

After looking closely, I can see what look like bonsai tree in various states of growth, maybe some sort of danjiri or the likes, something that might be a grave, some kind of spool with what looks like rope or thread 🤷🏼‍♂️. And how about those 5 lozenges?

I can't figure out the overall theme that all of these things relate to. Is it life, death, and funerals? What do you all think?

PSX_20230817_164148.thumb.jpg.d550b8b1a063eb22a54924b33e678262.jpg

PSX_20230817_164224.thumb.jpg.92c86670abee50a2576a749f244ef20c.jpg

Appreciate any ideas.

Damon

This is a long shot - I don't think it is right but could some of the images be related to the "Takarabune"?  https://www.curiouso...1/07/takarabune.html  Though there are only seven 'lucky' Gods there are nine treasures as in the tsuba there are nine views?

The seven lucky gods are Jurojin, Bishamonten, Ebisu, Fukurokuju, Daikokuten, Hotei and the goddess Benzaiten. The treasures they bring on takarabune are a  [1] hat of invisibility, [2] rolls of brocade, [3] an inexhaustible purse, [4] the keys to the treasure house of the gods, [5] the scrolls and books of wisdom and life, [6] the magic mallet, [7] the lucky raincoat, [8] a robe of fairy feathers and [9] a bag of fortune.

I don't recognise any of those objects. A very ,very unusual and interesting tsuba - I hope someone can be more helpful. [even a wrong comment can spark more responses! :)]

Good luck with it Damon. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dale and Grev. I'm also going through my copy of Henri Joly's Legend in Japanese Art to see if I can come up with something. Nothing yet. I've taken better pictures in natural lighting and applied a bit of contrast to highlight the fine details. 

PSX_20230818_164211.thumb.jpg.3addf80016a7e61e596260c34be68e0d.jpg

PSX_20230818_164300.thumb.jpg.252939a8f5748a4966e5cec191de9f39.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 3:16 PM, Spartancrest said:

This is a long shot - I don't think it is right but could some of the images be related to the "Takarabune"?  https://www.curiouso...1/07/takarabune.html  Though there are only seven 'lucky' Gods there are nine treasures as in the tsuba there are nine views?

The seven lucky gods are Jurojin, Bishamonten, Ebisu, Fukurokuju, Daikokuten, Hotei and the goddess Benzaiten. The treasures they bring on takarabune are a  [1] hat of invisibility, [2] rolls of brocade, [3] an inexhaustible purse, [4] the keys to the treasure house of the gods, [5] the scrolls and books of wisdom and life, [6] the magic mallet, [7] the lucky raincoat, [8] a robe of fairy feathers and [9] a bag of fortune.

I don't recognise any of those objects. A very ,very unusual and interesting tsuba - I hope someone can be more helpful. [even a wrong comment can spark more responses! :)]

Good luck with it Damon. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Dale, Grev, Matsunoki. I've definitely identified some of those lucky treasure items on the omote as seen below:

treasures.thumb.JPG.486b5822ba5ee8adec7664c5c7fbea33.JPG

1. Kakuremino: invisibility cape/robe

2. Kakuregasa: invisibility hat

3. Hoju: treasure ball said to fulfill wishes

4. Hoyaku: granary/warehouse key

5. Choji: clove buds

6. jewels/coins from mhammer?

7. Uchide no kozuchi: magic hammer

8. Kinnou/Kinchaku: treasure pouch

Although there's still a couple of the "lucky"  items that I'm not sure about. 

Of course, there's also the other panels, and I'll continue trying to figure out what those are. Certainly a "good luck" theme for this one with a whole lot going on. And I've never seen anything close to this from this school of tsuba makers.

Regards

Damon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone from a tosogu FB group I'm a member of had suggested the following:

"There is the Gohei at 9:00. And the hammers are also part of the ritual that make the creases nice and sharp. The “palanquin” is telling that this is actually depictin “Jijin Sai”. Possibly the whole tsuba relates to this ritual. The slanted boxes look like Saisen Bako."

I was especially curious about the reference to "Jijin Sai", actually Jichin-sai, or groundbreaking ceremony. This is an example of what's available online, https://www.japanesewiki.com/Shinto/Jichin-sai (ground-breaking ceremony).html#:~:text=Jichin-sai (also pronounced ",Japanese as the Ujigami%2C the

Maybe getting closer to deciphering it. 

Damon

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..