Tsuba design

kissakai

I think this may be a plum rather than a chrysanthemum

I wonder what the bar underneath means. Could be a ruler as this is usually shown as a straight bar

This is all I have as it is in the post from Japan

NMBtoday.thumb.jpg.fc2c3abaed91d3ef3c37dd059e23d4ad.jpg

Edited by kissakai
Line added
  • Like 3

There's lots of pictures of the plum online with an indentation in their leaf. If cherry blossoms are irregular, they tend to have a point on each petal, whereas if plum blossoms are irregular, they tend to have an indentation. Given that, in my opinion, an indentation is more representative of the plum. The plum blossom seems to be more common on tsuba, and when it's there, it usually has an indentation in the petals. That's my opinion!

Might as well throw my opinion in here. Googling “plum blossom tsuba” will produce images of flowers with rounded edges. Googling “cherry blossom tsuba” will produce images of flowers with an indentation at the tip of each petal.  My own katana which has a plum blossom theme has tosogu with rounded tip petals on the flowers.  Plum tosogu also tends to highlight the fact that plum blossoms bloom right next to the branches which could explain the rectangle partly obscuring the flower. So my inexperienced opinion puts me in the plum camp.  

IMG_2121.thumb.jpeg.0a6b13fb89305a690ba17870a5419079.jpeg

IMG_2122.thumb.jpeg.baf298f23f25773f68b80c974f929178.jpeg

IMG_2123.thumb.jpeg.e5ad4da79c2be1fefd71ac7f5661d0a4.jpeg

IMG_2124.thumb.jpeg.ab926070c4bfdf5d7370f1dacf96e145.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Larason2 said:

There's lots of pictures of the plum online with an indentation in their leaf. If cherry blossoms are irregular, they tend to have a point on each petal, whereas if plum blossoms are irregular, they tend to have an indentation. Given that, in my opinion, an indentation is more representative of the plum. The plum blossom seems to be more common on tsuba, and when it's there, it usually has an indentation in the petals. That's my opinion!

You obviously mistake cherry blossoms for plum blossoms.

cherry & peach plum image.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a plum on raft motif.

The one bar under the plum blossom is just an abstraction of a raft.

Very simple design, but evokes the full sentiment.

Like in the beams and bars sukashi thread:

There are a variety of flowers in the examples below

On 1/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, GRC said:

3. If the sticks are stacked side by side (2 or more sticks), often with the ends nearly even relative to each other, and sometimes appear to be bound (b,c,d), or are also in the presence of a pole (b), or a flower motif (a,c,d): IKADA (raft)

a)image.png.d7819f7faf0df56e5e6972abe71e7ca1.png b)image.png.b79efddfe1370612e79533bbb6f46720.png c)image.png.ca6c5ef997bb4c74028d01b18c90acae.png d)image.png.0ab6cdcc170ae2e9088d3b94b4a09737.png

• Like 2

Here's another "Tosho" example with both a complete and partial ume flower, like Grev's, but without the raft.

A tsuba in muromachi style - Image 1 of 4

And a kamakura-bori with partial ume and a complete katabami or sakura flower in sukashi:

A Kamakura-style tsuba | Rare and Fine Antique Arms, Armour and Militaria |  Finarte, casa d'aste

And another "katchushi" style tsuba with a partial ume, and complete katabami or sakura flower:

Tsuba-11-Ura-1024x991.jpg

so, the partial ume flower sukashi was definitely a recurring motif of the times.

...and just for contrast, here's one with a partial katabami or sakura flower:

image.jpeg.2043bc71956d4e1f5ccc0e1bb73862be.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..