Found it on eBay and paid a cool 1000 dollars for it.

Hi JJV,

No I think you did OK. Looks like a genuine Japanese wakizashi (how long is it? if over 60.6cm you did really well for the price) signed Bishu Osafune Sukesada. There were a bunch guys who signed this way working throughout the 16th century (60 maybe IIRC) mostly turning out mass-produced blades to feed the demand from the wars going on during this period.

The fittings look like they might be a put together set rather than made for the blade but the blade looks nice enough, can't see any major flaws evident in the pictures so if this is your first blade you've made a good start and I hope that you enjoy it.

Dear JJV.

Welcome to NMB!  Can we have a first name so that we can address you properly?  The menuki on your sword are supposed to represent a kabuto and tachi, helmet and slung sword.  The detail is not clear which suggests that they are low quality pressings rather than hand carved.  If you look at the back of the habaki you should be able to tell if it is silver foiled or not, look for a copper core with thin foil folded over the back edge.  Underneath the wrap on the tsuka your sword has silk rather than the more usual same, this does happen so no worries.

In your research try to focus on swords that have NBTHK papers, these are pretty reliable opinions as to the authenticity of the sword and the signature.  There are many swords with fake signatures called gimei so checking papered examples is the best route.  Start to get s feel for the handwriting style and the shape of the nakago or tang.

Above all look at the FAQs and search how to care for your sword, don't be tempted to clean anything.

Enjoy the journey.

All the best.

Hi JJV,

How to care for your sword: https://nbthk-ab2.or...ord-characteristics/

And stay away from ebay for your next purchase. You didn't get burned badly this time but that was largely luck. Ebay is a snake pit for beginners in Nihonto. You can do better with a reputable dealer you can trust.

Grey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The fact that your blade is signed Sukesada almost guarantees that it isn't gimei (false). There were many, many Sukesadas over the years, & no one would be likely to falsify that mei, in hopes of making the blade worth more. Do avoid eBay until you have a lot more experience - you really were lucky this time. Now that you have a blade to study, what information can you find?

5 hours ago, Ken-Hawaii said:

The fact that your blade is signed Sukesada almost guarantees that it isn't gimei (false). There were many, many Sukesadas over the years, & no one would be likely to falsify that mei, in hopes of making the blade worth more. Do avoid eBay until you have a lot more experience - you really were lucky this time. Now that you have a blade to study, what information can you find?

You might be surprised Ken, a signed sword was more attractive than an unsigned sword. Seen quite a few Sukesada on Aoi over the years with their well known "unreliable signature we do not guarantee". Probably some are still on their sold pages.

On 7/31/2023 at 5:15 AM, Ken-Hawaii said:

Hi Alex 

I’ve been trying to see where the fittings come from. The replacement for the ray skin has me curious. I’ve asked around and the tag attached to it says something like 

Tōno/ Higashino Hideyoshi 

Third group 

Beppu city, and either fish(medicine) or vegetable 

I don’t know the ink is smudged 

3 minutes ago, jjm270 said:

Hi Alex 

I’ve been trying to see where the fittings come from. The replacement for the ray skin has me curious. I’ve asked around and the tag attached to it says something like 

Tōno/ Higashino Hideyoshi 

Third group 

Beppu city, and either fish(medicine) or vegetable 

I don’t know the ink is smudged 

Sorry I meant hi ken but hi Alex to 👋

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..