Is this a cut down Sankaku Yari, an "Armor Piercing Dagger", or both?

tbonesullivan

This came in labeled simply as "Japanese Armor Piercing Dagger", and was mounted in tanto style koshirae. The blade is that of a Sankaku yari, but the tang is quite a bit shorter than I usually see on a yari, and does appear to have had the end of the tang cut off.  It's got a Bo'Hi with Red urushi, which I'm used to seeing on pole arms. I checked close up and the blade definitely has lamination lines and such.

I guess the question is, is this a normal type of alteration that was done? Is this what could be done if the tang ever broke? Is there an "official" name for this type of weapon?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

armordagger01.jpg

armordagger02.jpg

• Wow 1

Uncommon, a hybrid creature, probably designed as a one-off for a spare spearhead, logically and grammatically as above it should be ‘Yari-tantō’, (as a type of Tantō) but I am not sure if this has ever been ‘officially’ decided by anyone.

If you called it a Tantō-yari on the other hand, it would be describing a type of yari, (which it is not) but even so, you’d be in the right ballpark and people would probably guess your meaning.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..