My first attempt at NBTHK Newly Made Tsuba Contest 2023

C0D

I'm proud to announce that the tsuba i sent for 2023 NBTHK contest for newly made tsuba got accepted and ranked 7th Nyusen (入選七席). 
Despite not being an high rank, to me, an amateur italian tsubashi with no teacher that got serious in making tsuba only few years ago, is a huge victory.
My tsuba will be shown in the New Sword Exhibition in NBTHK museum, so if you'll have the chance to see it there, i'll be happy to hear it from you.
This result encurages me to keep working hard to improve myself and to aim to higher ranks next years.

Manuel Coden 古伝
ig.thumb.jpg.977ca11e0971865e07649ab7bce73a38.jpg1687346532107.thumb.jpg.53ed4fadebe6cb40194e8e7234f0ae01.jpg

• Like 21
  • Love 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 5

As per my instagram comment, great job, that is excellent... and congratulations!!!

I have seen a few other smiths posting similar entries (to the awards ceremony) is there a gallery of all entries we may be able to view? I have only seen excellent guards so far.

• Like 1

Thank you all, the design is actually an utsushi of this Akasaka tsuba https://www.touken-w...-guard/art0000971-1/. When i saw it i immediately loved the flow of it and wanted to reproduce it.

The results should be published on NBTHK website in a few days, i'll post the results here once they come out.

Dimensions are 75x76 mm and 5 mm thick

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, kissakai said:

Very nice Manuel

I was drawn to the flowing lines

Ford Hallam's first success was in this class

Do you do commissions?

Thank you, yes I do take commissions, of course my skills are limited to sukashi and simple engraving on iron and copper. I also did some restoration on iron tsuba.

NBTHK published the results today, with my big surprise there are a lot of entries in the metal engraving section (the one i was is), and many ranked below me. With Jeff Broderick, who's already a veteran of this contest, i'm the only other foreigner. Under this light i'm even more happy of my result.
Here's the results in Japanese2023年度研磨・刀身彫・彫金・白鞘・刀装・柄前・白銀の部 審査結果一覧hp.pdf

Here translated in English with Google Translate

ENG 2023年度研磨・刀身彫・彫金・白鞘・刀装・柄前・白銀の部 審査結果一覧hp (2).pdf

• Like 10
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..