Help me identify menuki

GeorgeLuucas

Hello, it's been a while since I've posted. I recently acquired a wakizashi in koshirae with kiri-mon fuchi and kashira. And a WW2 saya I think

I can't for the life of me determine what the menuki is depicting. It looks like someone in the past had the same issue, because the Ito is a little frayed and loose around them. I can move it a little, but fear damaging a koshirae set that I enjoy

I am a beginner and novice, but have been reading and studying. I am finally grasping some of the vocabulary, and getting better at identifying features

Can you tell what the Menuki is for me? 

full set.jpg

menuki.jpg

Menuki1.jpg

menukiiii.jpg

menukii.jpg

I may be way off target here but it looks like a fan and - - something in the background. A strange looking fan for sure but that is the impression it gives me.

Closest I can find are these - image.png.948d1679e901b710cd92b774fd517b1f.png

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/374854368970587509/  I would be surprised if this is correct. But someone has to start the search ! :)

Could the "thing at the back" be a daikon? Like in this set?  https://www.jauce.com/auction/p1044391226

image.thumb.png.73f7b91df6f5aae394374d8f56676bcf.png

Edited by Spartancrest
new data

That Daikon looks awfully close! Especially how the end of the 'leafs' are different. One side theres three "tendrils", the other side there are two

Thank you for the input. Here's a couple more photos, but I'm not sure if they will reveal anything new. Thanks again!

menuki11.jpg

menuki12.jpg

Only just seen this so apologies.

They look like good-quality 四方手 'shiode', and kura horse saddle/harness behind. There are four on a saddle at the four corners, which gives them their name, 'four-direction hands/handles', the pronunciation softened over the centuries from shi-ho-te.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Piers with that information I found another menuki pair -  https://ginza.choshuya.co.jp/sale/koshirae_kanagu/menuki/menuki_index.htm  see m057

image.thumb.png.b7998cd7177100e24ff70b8fac323bea.png

They are sold but the description is "Horse harness (four hands) Menuki
unsigned

red copper ground engraving Color
table: 39.1mm Back: 37mm This is a theme often seen in the works of the Goto family, which went up in the era of high-quality"

image.png.64191ef34124e94ee44ca41b107c8654.png

Edited by Spartancrest
image missing
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Sam, I used to have one single lacquered-leather shiode with silver end caps which I treasured for many years. Nothing I could do with it really, except research it, and just admire the quality of workmanship. Having let it go, though, I miss it now. :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Sam, I used to have one single lacquered-leather shiode with silver end caps which I treasured for many years. Nothing I could do with it really, except research it, and just admire the quality of workmanship. Having let it go, though, I miss it now. :(

Sounds like an amazing piece. The craftmanship that goes into items like that is truly incredible and impressive 

Which is exactly why I'm here! Seeing collections and reading these forums has helped a lot in my studies 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

Would you believe another pair has turned up for auction - What are the chances they turned up in the same week?  https://www.jauce.com/auction/g1094826803

Or  https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/g1094826803

i-img600x450-1686216440xyehan448235.jpg

Wow, what an amazing coincidence. Those are a really beautiful set.

Thank you, and everyone, again. I was able to learn so much from you and this koshirae

I knew I liked it, I had no idea how fancy it really was. This is all very exciting

Edited by GeorgeLuucas
spelling
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of menuki in this same design motif, shown in the attached photo.  I also saw another pair sell as lot 133 Sotheby's London on March 30, 1994 from the RB Caldwell collection (sold £782=$1157 at that time).  I have seen these described as falconry jesses for "takagari" on several occasions, which I accepted until now.  The photo of the set shown currently for sale include a horse riding crop.  I now concur with the identification as 四方手 'shiode' horse saddle parts.  

IMG_1441.JPG

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..