Daisho at last

Agree with Jussi. Koshirae is the main feature used to determine a daisho as this conclusively proves they were owned/carried together.
(Obviously excluding those put together later for display.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ooitame said:

Ok, my question is how to prove provenance? I am not sure if swords were often kept in a list of owners?

How common is it that blades passed downed were documented, except swords like Masmune, Norishige etc...

This's like trying to discover ones own nationality and blood line before DNA testing. Until nondestructive scientific testing becomes the norm, it's best guess. I've seen many swords with papers have a 100 year history span attribution. 

I did a quick search of AOI in Japan and found A Dai and Sho in Shirasaya (NBTHK Tokubitsu Hozon Token) Tsushima Kami Tachibana Nyudo Tsunemitsu 

Also found Tsuba as Dai Sho and Unrelated papered smith swords with unsigned none papered match Koshirae as Dai Sho.

Is the word Dai Sho the same meaning as Daisho in "collectors" terms?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..