Daisho at last

Well after a long time due, blood, sweat, and years, my Daisho is complete. Better pics to come along if you want, Shirasaya, Koshirae, no Habaki, hamon hada, Bohi, Sohi...

Never let anyone tell you hardwork does not pay off. Patience as well lol!

20230510_211940.jpg

20230510_211059.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Daisho? If the swords mei matches, or, and the Koshirae mei matches, papered, you "may" have a Daisho, 

In the true sense,  a Daisho is pretty rare and looked at very favorably. The word Daisho in "Dealer Speek" is thrown around most frequently. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Hi Eric, congratulations. Do you have pictures of the Koshirae, the Katana and Wakizashi look to be from different time periods is all.

Hi @PNSSHOGUN thank you. 470 year difference. I sure can, Kosirare was an expnsive build, but we'll worth it; pics coming soon.

@Baba Yaga I thought a Daisho is simply long, short sword.

For those of that wish to learn, including myself, what brought you too the inference of different ages... besides thickness , and mei @PNSSHOGUN.

Also to be honest I am going to nakgo to kissaki close up for Hada, Gamon, Sughata. Then merger together. Time to google lol.

9 hours ago, Brian said:

WE disused this when Darcey was just a Newbie, where do you think he got it from! 

Yes, a Daisho is in a sense a long and short sword. However, we as collectors describe a "True Daisho" and it's meaning. The information "at the time" was sampled from "papers". I understand "Papers" have become much more relaxed over the last few decades.     

7 hours ago, vajo said:

You mean a Daito.

Just a thought, not a conclusion. I would assume a Samurai would have Swords Long - Short /  Koshirae  from the same smith. Again, I was involved at the time with the top Dealers / Collectors in surmising this conclusion. Can we be wrong, hell yes. 

I think the term Daisho means different things to different people, at different times and in different circumstances…..and it depends on whether you are talking about just the blades, just the koshirae or the whole package.

Imo a “true blade daisho” is a pair of blades long/short made by the same smith at the same time as a pair. Very very rare. Probably expensive when new and even moreso now.

Imo A daisho koshirae  is simply completely matching katana/wakizashi or a Tachi/Tanto koshirae ….saya, tsuka, tsuba, and other hardware. Most of these (not that common nowadays) usually contain non matching blades often by different smiths and from different periods. These are what is “generally” meant by a daisho and are what we usually encounter….if we are lucky! still very desirable and expensive.

The ultimate Daisho would be matching blades, same time same smith mounted in totally matching koshirae

The wealth (and status) of the samurai would determine what he could afford. Most of them probably simply carried any old long sword together with any old short sword. If the mounts looked similar that would be good enough. The wealthier he was the higher up the daisho ladder he could climb.

Has anyone on here got a true blade/koshirae daisho ie the full package that is from the Samurai era and not later assembled? ……lucky person!

just some ramblings….fire away🙂

• Like 6

Thanks for the link with Darcy's thoughts. As stated there are several definitions, for me this is a Daisho as the uchigatana had to have been worn by a samurai during its long life; made in 1478. The Katana while not worn by samurai of old, it was made during war time for battle use; estimation on date made 1943. Both blades were made during times of war and worn for such. The koshirae are similar, I did not want to build one for the showa blade, already has a good koshirae.

For me, its two swords used by a Samurai, with the same koshirae.

Check out swords of the 47 Ronin for mismatches.

Also, if someone puts two swords together and matches the koshirae, its a Daisho.

Their Daisho.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

For the Kosihrae, the color was hard to send via photo to Japan, on the Katana. Texture is the same on both.

I have a few more just need to work on the size.

P.S. The gold Habaki was made special to fit the Kosihrae, as the mekugi on the uchigatana is high and I have a thick Tsuba.

20230513_174547.jpg

20230513_174420.jpg

20230513_174251.jpg

20230513_174447.jpg

Thank you for your honest thoughts @Alex A. If I had a Koshirae made for the Katana, would it be then a Daisho, or just my Daisho? Thank you, nice swords indeed,  If you come to the Orlando, show I would glady give you and others a private viewing.

Should I use Daito instead?

21 hours ago, Matsunoki said:

I think the term Daisho means different things to different people, at different times and in different circumstances…..and it depends on whether you are talking about just the blades, just the koshirae or the whole package.

Imo a “true blade daisho” is a pair of blades long/short made by the same smith at the same time as a pair. Very very rare. Probably expensive when new and even moreso now.

Imo A daisho koshirae  is simply completely matching katana/wakizashi or a Tachi/Tanto koshirae ….saya, tsuka, tsuba, and other hardware. Most of these (not that common nowadays) usually contain non matching blades often by different smiths and from different periods. These are what is “generally” meant by a daisho and are what we usually encounter….if we are lucky! still very desirable and expensive.

The ultimate Daisho would be matching blades, same time same smith mounted in totally matching koshirae

The wealth (and status) of the samurai would determine what he could afford. Most of them probably simply carried any old long sword together with any old short sword. If the mounts looked similar that would be good enough. The wealthier he was the higher up the daisho ladder he could climb.

Has anyone on here got a true blade/koshirae daisho ie the full package that is from the Samurai era and not later assembled? ……lucky person!

just some ramblings….fire away🙂

When collecting, I've always been a purist. It's the bane of my existence. How insane is it to display pieces in wood cases which  are worth the price of luxury cars? My answer has always been, I don't have to build large garages. ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Alex A said:

Was just looking over old photos of Samurai on Youtube, there's a few on there where fittings don't match.

Think maybe some were not so pedantic as we are :laughing:

Functionality over aesthetics, battle pick-up, Artistic rendering? Some show daisho, some don't. Seems to be psychological preference :laughing:   

• Like 1

Guest Simon R
On 5/15/2023 at 3:37 AM, Alex A said:

Many carrying a Tanto/Katana combo.

As did Sakamoto Ryōma and several other samurai of the Bakumatsu Jidai.

Also shown is my daisho - a pretty closely matched katana and tanto.

IMG_7670.jpeg

IMG_7671.jpeg

IMG_7656.jpeg

IMG_7657.jpeg

IMG_7655.jpeg

Edited by SRDRowson
Bloody spellcheck!🤬

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..