WW2 wakizashi ?

Guest Simon R
8 hours ago, sechan said:

Hi guys, I just like it and do not want to open it to see if it's signed. Hope someone can tell me about it a little more...

Thanks,

Steve

IMG_5739.jpg

IMG_5740.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

Sorry Steve, but that's a bit like posting a photo of a wrapped box of chocolates and asking opinions on what assortment is likely to be found inside!

Confectionery analogies aside, I totally concur with the other comments that it screams Chinese fake, but you really do need to look at the nakago in order to hammer the final nail in the coffin (if that's what you want, of course).

The faker undoubtedly knew that a seemingly tight, leather combat cover in situ on the tsuka would actively discourage anyone from taking the sword apart and discovering - what I guess will be - a badly shaped nakago, possibly with nonsensical Chinese characters.

Regards,

Simon

Guest Simon R
2 minutes ago, Brian said:

C'mon guys. With that "hada" and kissaki shape, and that hi on the blade...and the fittings, you guys still want to go with "probably a fake"??
It IS a fake. Sorry.

Stop sitting on the fence, Brian - say what you really mean! 🤣

Guest Simon R

Addendum: even through the leather 'combat cover' over the wrap, you can clearly see that the tsuka-ito is all twisted in the same direction.
I'm really surprised the Chinese knock-off shops haven't figured out that detail gives their stuff away as fake before you even draw the blade.

IMG_7208.jpeg

Looking at the hada and the kissaki, it simply screams CHINA! But, looking at the first photo, apart from the leatherwork covering the ishizuke, to me, from a distance it looks fairly legit. The leather work has been aged too, and this is a worrying development, especially for new collectors.

I used to collect many, many years back, but am only recently getting back into Japanese swords. Personally, I  was , and am, very interested in Shin Gunto and swords of that era.

13 hours ago, SRDRowson said:

Sorry Steve, but that's a bit like posting a photo of a wrapped box of chocolates and asking opinions on what assortment is likely to be found inside!

Confectionery analogies aside, I totally concur with the other comments that it screams Chinese fake, but you really do need to look at the nakago in order to hammer the final nail in the coffin (if that's what you want, of course).

The faker undoubtedly knew that a seemingly tight, leather combat cover in situ on the tsuka would actively discourage anyone from taking the sword apart and discovering - what I guess will be - a badly shaped nakago, possibly with nonsensical Chinese characters.

Regards,

Simon

Thank you, since it's probably a bad chocolate anyway...I'm not going to open it...:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..