Type 98 Shin Gunto - Thoughts?

Mich

Alright guys....getting dragged down the rabbit hole.

This one is for sale (somewhat locally) for $2,000 

Thoughts on authenticity and valuation?

The seller states:  

Type 98 Shin Gunto katana

Imperial Japanese Army officer katana. Traditionally (hand made) forged gendaito blade sometime between 1867-1945

Very attractive hamon. Unsigned/ mumei

The menuki has the mon from the Tōdō clan meaning the original owner of the sword was a member of that clan

2.jpg

4.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

CGN.jpg

Would need to see better photos of the fittings.  And even though mumei, I'd want to see the nakago.

The leather covered saya could mean an older, family blade inside.  

The lacquered tsuka on this style 98 is unusual.  Not completely unheard of, but quite uncommon.

Finally, I'm leary of the menugi/mon.  We just had a discussion of new, Chinese fake mons showing up and this one really looks that way to me.

I could be completely wrong (have been wrong before), but to me, this one has possible issues.  Could simply be a newly re-wrapped tsuka from something old and damaged.

1 hour ago, Mich said:

Type 98 Shin Gunto katana

Mich:

To add to what Bruce said, the ito wrap looks like it has had a fresh coat of lacquer applied. Still bright and shiny, not dull and dirty. Not saying it isn't legit, just some things to think about. 

John C.

• Like 1

Thanks for the education gents.

The guy has a photo section here (NB:  I have inserted a space between https: and // to disable any hot link.) 

https: //flickr.com/photos/190183387@N07/sets/72177720307788888?fbclid=IwAR0oN2BjEGjHbXAusSdVFWYowNsj_y0OKMKBC_KiDdy-AD1CSruQoPQ6Qms

17 hours ago, Mich said:

The menuki has the mon from the Tōdō clan meaning the original owner of the sword was a member of that clan

Also doesn't necessarily mean "the original owner was a member of that clan" ..... I understand it was not uncommon for Kamon to be 'adopted' by non-clan persons.

Could be true, but sounds like a clear sales pitch to me.

Nice hamon though!

• Like 2

It's not even from the Tōdō clan. Its just a garden variety 5-3 Kiri (paulownia) crest used by the government on top of the standard gunto sakura menuki. Its obviously an attempt to connect the sword with a samurai family. Buyer beware. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..