SUMO TACHI KOSHIRAE

Guest Simon R

Guest Simon R

I'm just on the way home from the NBTHK museum, having collected my Yasukunito following shinsa.

Before going home, my wife and I visited the Sumo Museum next door - and very interesting it was.

Among all the other displays, there were three Tachi mounts fitted with tsunagi (apparently the blades are in the storeroom) and I thought the members might like to see the photos I took of each.

According to the very kind lady at the museum, each one is tailor-made for the yokozuna who receives it. Therefore, the length is based on their height etc.

Simon

IMG_6441.jpeg

IMG_6435.jpeg

IMG_6438.jpeg

IMG_6439.jpeg

IMG_6434.jpeg

IMG_6437.jpeg

IMG_6440.jpeg

IMG_6433.jpeg

IMG_6436.jpeg

Edited by SRDRowson
Poor photo quality

Guest Simon R
15 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Thanks for the pictures, however they are very small - would it be possible to re-upload bigger versions?

Hi John,

I've managed to load bigger versions of the tsuka but I'm having real problems with the other six pictures! 😳

I'll keep trying. 🤔

Simon

Guest Simon R
3 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Thanks Simon, those are much better. The cost to produce these must be very high, they are absolutely exquisite.

Glad to hear it, John - still having problems with the other six though!

The tachi koshirae were lovely - I'm adding a couple of quick shots of the museum flyer as it shows a tsuba face-on and three Yokozuna, two of whom are holding their swords (currently displayed).

IMG_6548.jpeg

IMG_6549.jpeg

Beautiful koshirae! Thank you for posting them.

For the record, the three yokozuna pictured L-R are,  Kakuryu, Hakuho and Kisenosato. All three now sadly retired. Hakuho, being of course the most successful rikishi of all time. Terunofuji is the sole yokozune wrestling today. With the exception of Kisenosato, all the yokozuna I have named were born in Mongolia!

Guest Simon R

The greatest Yokozuna will always be Chiyonofuji in my humble opinion.

I stumbled across his grave in a temple a few years ago and the priest there told my wife and I a very sad tale. Apparently, 'The Wolf' knew about the funerary statue before his demise and instructed that it should face the grave of his little daughter (who had died tragically young) so that he could always look over her.

IMG_6573.jpeg

IMG_6574.jpeg

IMG_6572.jpeg

Guest Simon R

As a footnote, my wife just told me that the lady at the museum was explaining to us that Sumo brings together virtually every ancient tradition In Japan; the sport itself, swordmaking and fittings, urushi, textiles (embroidery, weaving, dying) etc.

Food for thought, neh?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..