Posting an antique yari to Australia

Does anyone in Australia have experience with buying a yari from an overseas auction or a seller and then having it shipped to Australia?

I looked at the Prohibited Weapons legislation for NSW and Australia but it is not clear to me on antique double edged weapons.  

Thinking of buying a shortened antique Edo yari with a saya.

Thanks

Knowing a little bit about Australia's laws around double edged weapons, and the fact that they like to reject stuff with a passion, my gut feel is that you would end up with a whole lot of frustration. Maybe some Aussies have different experiences, but a ton of sellers won't even sell to Australia anymore.

Hi Clive,

I live in Queensland and have a number of yari. I have never had any issues in receiving them from Japan, the latest one arriving last November. I have always used EMS and had them sent registered mail with a description of "Antique Japanese yari spear over 100 years old". There could be an issue with a Ken as it can be seen as a double edged sword due to the short "sword" like nakago. They have all been purchased from dealers and not through auctions which might change things.

If you live in Victoria there maybe an issue but if your a member of the "Goshu Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon Kai Inc." that will be beneficial and required. Hope this has been helpful.

John C.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Isshu said:

Hi Clive,

I live in Queensland and have a number of yari. I have never had any issues in receiving them from Japan, the latest one arriving last November. I have always used EMS and had them sent registered mail with a description of "Antique Japanese yari spear over 100 years old". There could be an issue with a Ken as it can be seen as a double edged sword due to the short "sword" like nakago. They have all been purchased from dealers and not through auctions which might change things.

If you live in Victoria there maybe an issue but if your a member of the "Goshu Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon Kai Inc." that will be beneficial and required. Hope this has been helpful.

John C.

Noted. I am in NSW

Thanks John.

48 minutes ago, robinalexander said:

Clive if you have the legislation link handy, I would be interested to read it.

See:  https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/133191/Prohibited_Weapons_Schedule.pdf

There is also the national legislation on importing certain items e.g. an Australian list.

Firstly, I cant see anything to prevent you from importing and owning a yari (spear) in NSW Fact Sheet or corresponding legislation...........

In general, swords such as a sabre, cutlass, samurai sword, katana, etc fall outside the scope of the Weapons Prohibition Act 1998 and you do not need a licence or permit to own one and there are no specific safe storage requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions - Permits - NSW Police Public Site

Secondly, similar situation with Federal legislation ......

https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exporting-and-manufacturing/prohibited-goods/categories

Finally, I'm not aware of any impediment, legal or otherwise to importing and owning a Yari in NSW.  Further, I haven't read anything that would suggest a Yari is prohibited from import or ownership.

If I wanted one I would do it.

Rob

PS....I am not a lawyer and do not work for Aust. Border Force  :)

• Like 1

I don't see NSW prohibiting these: https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/133191/Prohibited_Weapons_Schedule.pdf
But I cannot comment on general AU imports of double edge weapons. I have heard of many knife collectors having their antique stuff refused. Btw....how on earth does a govt restrict their people to this level? Jeez.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone in OZ.

The yari arrived today undamaged. So it seems it is quite ok to buy them and have them sent here.

The only drawback is pole size. The seller had to cut 15 cm off the oak pole so it could fit into the 1.05 long postal cylinder, the blade had been removed and was carefully wrapped up alongside the pole.

Not sure how long a parcel you could have using sea mail.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..