Tsuba stand

DFX

Thought I’d show a stand I designed sculpted and cast for a Tsuba I acquired from a member of this group 

I can’t find much out there in the way of display stands to show these beautiful pieces of art so decided to do my own as I’m a sculptor by trade…

This is purely my own design.

A5446EEE-DC5E-4F41-921A-29DD94598E2A.jpeg

A20F1C06-DFDF-4815-9AFE-3EF16C95271C.jpeg

9C35B7B6-FA1B-4C51-B566-C965D29C73C8.jpeg

4E50D4FD-0BE9-4552-8D19-0617F1E03278.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually I have to agree.

I was not going to click on the smaller picture in the list of recent postings, (my immediate reaction was, dang thing looks too Star Wars!) but when I did click to the larger photo I was pleasantly surprised. Quite original and sympathetic. Must have been quite a bit of work. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

It is quite a nice tsuba stand and beautifully crafted.  Well done, and congratulations!  But I just put a nail in the wall and hang my tsuba by the nakago ana like a picture would hang on the wall.  The problem is I am running out of wall space!

Ha, ha, ha, ha, etc!

Dan

• Haha 2

If I had a criticism, it would be that Japanese collectors might shy away from putting naked iron on iron, especially in an earthquake prone country. Danger of losing patina. I could see the need for a thin film of leather or something on the contact surfaces. And with Dan's nails, I would want to use (wooden etc.) pegs.

A few have asked and to be clear the stand in cast in sold resin with metal pigments added and then finished to simulate real metal…so there is zero chance of rust or loss of patina as this was added as an effect.

• Like 3

Here a look at a second design 

this time its

‘orange blossom and butterfly’

This decor is a lot smaller, texture more refined and subtle as not to distract

from the Tsuba itself.

The 2 designs will be offered to members of this group.

312F8BB2-8AE9-4F72-95DE-B4D9E0563385.jpeg

84E1CF3C-92E0-45A3-831C-E6BFD354B804.jpeg

3E6D5F12-05D8-49E1-92AA-5A8AA8B95A9B.jpeg

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Bart said:

Are these stands for sale anywhere?

I highly recommend these stands, they are a work of art in themselves. The struggle is finding a worthy piece to display on them!

Give DFX [ Darren Harvey] a Personal Message, he will let you know if they are available. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not a fan of the stand above with the design as I don't have a tsuba that matches that theme. I purchased a plain black stand from DFX [Darren Harvey] and was incredibly happy with it. Here is a photo of that stand in action. 

417853FD-9B39-4586-87BD-1DD7C22474AE.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently received my "orange blossom and butterfly" style stands and have to congratulate Darren on i. his workmanship and ii. particularly on his professional communication and kindness. 5/5 throughout.

Best,

Danny

• Like 1

Hello all

Thanks for your feedback I appreciate it!

I don't always get a chance to come here but please feel free to email me

dfxstudio@hotmail.com

Regards

Darren

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..