7.5 footlong (ancient) iron sword!

Dan tsuba

Hello all (again!)

I know many of you are saying “now what irrelevant stuff is he going to bore us with!”  Ha, ha, ha, ha!

Anyway, I thought some members may be interested in this (I was!) since the subject of archaeometallurgy has been brought up in a few posts in a previous thread.

It is about a 7.5-footlong iron sword that was rather recently found in Japan in a 4th century tomb mound.  It was used to protect the dead from evil spirits. 

The article was written in January of 2023.

Here is the weblink-

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20230126/p2g/00m/0na/004000c

The article tells about the sword, its iron construction, and has an x-ray of the piece (attached below).

Like I said, I thought it would be of interest.  If it isn’t, well just move on to another thread!

With respect,

Dan

burial sword.jpg

• Like 4

So, just to quote some stuff for those interested in archaeometallurgy from the article in my previous post:

‘’ ’(These discoveries) indicate that the technology of the Kofun period (300-710 AD) are beyond what had been imagined, and they are masterpieces in metalwork from that period,’ said Kosaku Okabayashi, the deputy director for Nara Prefecture's Archaeological Institute of Kashihara.’ “

“The twin findings from the Tomio Maruyama Tumulus last November can be classified as national treasures, experts say, ….”

“He called their discoveries a breakthrough in the research of the period, named for the "kofun" tomb mounds built for members of the ruling class.”

“The latest sword has markings of a sheath and handle, and together, its length measures 2.6 meters, more than dominating the last longest dako sword discovered at around 85 cm.”

What will be interesting to watch for, about the sword mentioned in the article, is in a couple of months if the scientists will conduct further analysis to determine exactly what type of iron was used in the sword’s manufacture (you know I will be interested in that!).

Perhaps they will use the method listed below?- 

from "Non-invasive characterisation of SIX Japanese hand-guards (tsuba)

December 2013Applied Physics A 113(4)"

“Time of Flight Neutron Diffraction (ToF-ND) and Nuclear Resonance Capture Analysis (NRCA). The measurements were carried out on the same instrument: the INES beam-line at the ISIS spallation pulsed neutron source (UK). NRCA analysis allows identifying the elements present in the sample gauge volume, while neutron diffraction is exploited to quantify the phase distribution and other micro-structural parameters of the metal specimen.”

So, maybe in a couple of years (or perhaps a couple of decades!) a dealer can subject a piece he is selling (either a blade or even a tsuba) to the above stated testing method (hopefully by that time the testing method will be inexpensive!).  In this way the exact construction of the piece (maybe showing the differing metal layers used in a blade) and what type of iron was used (or the addition of other metals) could be determined.  These areas may be of interest to the purchaser of the piece.

Which brings up another interesting thought!  I am fairly certain that many individual master blade smiths had their own “secret” formula for making their metals.  I mean some of these masters were almost “alchemists” in their abilities!  So, if it could be determined (by the above testing methods) that a particular mix of metals could be attributed to one smith; then if there is a mei on a blade and the blade did not match that particular smith’s metal mix - then that method would be an easier way to determine if the mei is gimei.  Hey, just a thought!

The adventure continues!

With respect,

Dan

• Like 3

Hi Dan, 

the small Tatara outcome i have seen ranges from ~ 3-10kg per run. 
So even for the same smith the Tamahagane can vary from run to run and how he refined it. 
So I would guess that this Technologie won’t be of much help to authenticate a Mei but how the found sword was made is definitely interesting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

......So even for the same smith the Tamahagane can vary from run to run and how he refined it.....

Exactly. It was the competence of the smith that made good (or bad) steel. There is no secret "metal mix" (= alloy) as the direct reduction method in a bloomery kiln/TATARA produces pure iron/steel with no alloying metals. The temperature is just not high enough to melt the iron and to reduce secondary metals so they could form an alloy.

• Like 2

Getting off the subject slightly.  So, thanks to Jean (Rokujoro), I now know that metals were not mixed in a tatara and an alloy could not be produced (thanks again Jean!). However, I wonder if a blade can be attributed to a certain master by the source of where the artisan obtained his iron sand and how he heated his blade for forging? 

I know this is a “stretch” but the article shown below is very interesting (to me at least!).  So I wanted to include it just as an interesting “aside”.

I have included pieces of the article (in a different order for easier viewing) from the website listed below (the paper was written in 2016)-

http://emc-proceedings.com/abstract/3d-elemental-mapping-of-non-metallic-inclusions-in-Japanese-sword-with-fib-sem-eds-system/

“The sample was a Japanese sword with the signature of Bizen Osafune Katsumitsu (property of M. Kitada). It was made in Japan in the 16th century.

Japanese swords are made of raw steel produced by smelting iron sand. The raw steel made by the Tatara method contains less phosphorus and sulphur, and higher concentrations of non-metallic inclusions than modern steel. By analyzing non-metallic inclusions the source of the iron sand and the heat process used during processing Japanese swords have been investigated [1,2]. The purpose of this study is to reveal the 3D distribution of non-metallic inclusions to understand the solidification process. The 3D distribution was observed with a Focused Ion Beam – Scanning Electron Microscope (FIB-SEM). The sample was repeatedly sliced with an FIB-SEM to expose a new surface which was then automatically analyzed using EDS. The 3D distribution was reconstructed from the acquired EDS data to analyze solidification processes of the non-metallic inclusions in the edge.”  

21382-fig1.jpg

Figure 1 a) Image of an etched cross-section of a Japanese sword. Unit division of the scale is 1 mm. b) SEI of back side of the Japanese sword shown by the red square of Figure 1 a). c) BEI of 3D analyzed a non-metallic inclusion. It is in an area indicated as a red circle in Figure 1 b).

21383-fig2.jpg

Figure 2 a) 3D reconstructed image obtained from backscattered electron images. b) Image of grains in the non-metallic inclusion extracted by volume rendering from Figure 2 a). c) Image of interspace in the non-metallic inclusion extracted by volume rendering from Figure 2 a).

21384-fig3.jpg

Figure 3 a) BEI, oxygen, aluminum, silicon, calcium, titanium, and iron EDS mapping from the 90th slice. b) Superimposed 3D elemental map of oxygen (green) and iron (black). These grains are iron oxide. c) Superimposed 3D elemental map of aluminum (green), silicon (yellow), calcium (cyan) and titanium (magenta).

To cite this abstract:

Hideki MATSUSHIMA, Masahiro KITADA, Minoru SUZUKI, Toshiyuki KANAZAWA; 3D Elemental Mapping of Non-metallic Inclusions in Japanese Sword with FIB-SEM / EDS System. The 16th European Microscopy Congress, Lyon, France. https://emc-proceedings.com/abstract/3d-elemental-mapping-of-non-metallic-inclusions-in-Japanese-sword-with-fib-sem-eds-system/. Accessed: March 22, 2023

With respect,

Dan

I don't have the reference anymore, but the Hitachi metals website (before its name/structure change) used to have data on the iron sands. Yes, if the chemical composition of a sword is known, then the origin of the iron sands can be determined.

In terms of determining the smith only with the sword and no signature, it is likely that the iron sands and forge would be close to one another. Also, but this needs more analysis (to determine consistency of each smith's work), the final microstructure can be analyzed to determine the quenching treatment (mostly work by Profs. Pham and Morito of Shimane university). The crystallographic orientation of the martensite is determined by its parent austenite (before quench); by analyzing the martensite and with the carbon content, they can calculate the austenite crystallographic orientation, the austenite grain size, and infer how hot the steel was before the quench.

The issue is obviously that all such analysis is ultimately destructive as you need to cut and polish pieces of the sword to fit in the microscope.

• Love 1

Well, here is a website that I thought would be interesting in that other “iron swords” were found in different  burial mounds in Japan (the sentences I found interesting I put in “bold type”).  I only placed what I thought was the interesting part on this thread.  You can read the entire write up here-

https://doyouknowjapan.com/history/kofun/#:~:text=The%20'Kofun'%20period%20was%20divided,century%20was%20called%20the%20Late%20'

image.thumb.png.9947438b414cb32fe0c5ff6b6de1a61a.png

The early Kofun period

“At the end of the third century, one of the Yayoi period's burial systems was called the funkyubo (grave mound or tumulus) [tombs of Shucho (head of an organization, chief)]; these tumulus appeared all over western Japan, and those funkyubo would have contained unique tsubogata doki (jar-shaped pottery vessels, unglazed earthenware) and kidaigata doki (stand-shaped pottery vessels, unglazed earthenware) inside. Later in this early 'Kofun' period, a circular tumulus appeared and was positioned as a precursor to the keyhole-shaped mound; then another 'Kofun' development was of a large square tumulus, and this appeared only in the distinctively cultural sphere of Izumo Province; also, this large square tumulus seemed to be developed from yosumi tosshutsugata funkyubo (square mounds whose four corners protruded outward). The oldest 'Kofun' found during the historical period, was that of the Onari Tumulus in Yasugi City, Shimane Prefecture. Additionally, a rare sokantotachi (iron sword with a ring pommel) was excavated in this early 'Kofun' period. Later, large keyhole-shaped mounds, which were about same size as an okimi ryo (great king's or Emperor's tomb), were constructed in the concentrated regions of the Nara Basin. These 'kofun' interment facilities were structured with a vertical style stone chamber, and burial goods were contained inside: Magical goods, mirrors, gems, swords, and stone objects in addition to iron farming tools.”

With respect,

Dan

My friend Piers,

At first, I didn’t know what you were trying to tell me!  Then I think (hopefully) I finally figured it out! 

The quote of the article states “sokantotachi”, which is a sword with a ring pommel. 

But a “Kabutsuchi no Tachi” is a sword with a hollow head pommel, which is the one shown in the picture that I posted.

But in all fairness, the picture didn’t describe what type of sword it was (not that I would know anyway!).  They probably just showed a picture of an ancient sword found in a Kofun period burial mound.

Anyway, that took me a lot of work to figure out!  And I thank you for teaching me something!  That is what is great about this forum.  The constant learning experiences!

Did I get it right about the sword?  Or am I “way off”?

With much respect,

Dan

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hello all,

So, in my first post to this thread I listed a weblink.  In that link it states, “The 2.3-meter sword with a meandering blade is also the largest iron sword made in that period in East Asia.”

Now, the fact that the blade was described as “meandering” got me interested in other “weird” shaped ancient swords that were found in Japan.

That led me to the “Seven Branched Sword” of Japan!  Who knew! 

There are several web sites that talk about this particular sword.  I only include one of them because it summarizes several points (this is only part of the information stated on the link)-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-Branched_Sword

"The Seven-Branched Sword (Japanese: 七支刀, Hepburn: Shichishitō) is a ceremonial sword believed to be a gift from the king of Baekje to a Yamato ruler.[1] It is mentioned in the Nihon Shoki in the fifty-second year of the reign of the semi-mythical Empress Jingū.[2][3] It is a 74.9 cm (29.5 in) long iron sword with six branch-like protrusions along the central blade. The original sword has been conserved since antiquity in the Isonokami Shrine in Nara Prefecture, Japan and is not on public display. An inscription on the side of the blade is an important source for understanding the relationships between kingdoms of the Korean peninsula and Japan in that period.

Appearance

The blade of the sword is 65.5 cm and the tang is 9.4 cm long. There is no hole on the tang to fasten the sword with a hilt. The sword is broken at the top of the tang. In the past, the material was considered to be forged mild steel from the state of fracture surface,[4] but the theory that it was cast became the mainstream through the latest research by Tsutomu Suzuki and reproduction experiment by swordsmith Kunihira Kawachi.[2] As the ‘branches’ appear to be quite delicate, and their functionality in melee combat doubtful, it is unlikely that the Seven-Branched Sword was used as a military weapon. Instead, it probably had a ceremonial function.[5]The sword has been stored in the Isonokami Shrine since ancient times. The inscription on the blade had been hidden by rust and was rediscovered in the 1870s by Masatomo Kan, a Shinto priest at the shrine. There is a two-sided inscription on the sword which is inlaid in gold. This sword appears to have been mentioned in the Nihon Shoki.[6] Many scholars have engaged in study to interpret the vague inscription. Closeup pictures of the sword taken with X-ray were published in 1996.[7]

Origins

Analysis and archeology have suggested that the sword's origins lie in Baekje Kingdom.[8] The sword's peculiar design—with the tip of the blade counting as the "seventh" branch—is indicative of contemporary Korean tree-motifs.[9] Other examples of this motif include the Baekje Crown and the Silla Crown. If the weapon had indeed been produced in Korea, it would have represented one of the prime artistic accomplishments of Baekje swordsmithery.[10]

Description in Nihon Shoki

The sword is mentioned in the biography of Empress Jingū, a legendary Japanese empress in the ancient era. The following is the original Classical Chinese text;

則獻七枝刀一口 七子鏡一面及種種重寶 啟曰 臣國以西有水 源出自谷那鐵山 邈七日行之不及 當飲是水 便取是山鐵以永奉聖朝[11]

In English;

(52nd year, Autumn, 9th month 10th day. Kutyo and others came along with Chikuma Nagahiko) and presented a seven-branched sword and a seven-little-one-mirror, with various other objects of great value. They addressed the Empress, saying :-"West of thy servants' country there is a river-source which issues from Mount Cholsan in Kong-na. It is distant seven days' journey. It need not be approached, but one should drink of this water, and so having gotten the iron of this mountain, wait upon the sage Court for all ages."[12]

Inscription on the sword

The inscription states:

In original Chinese characters:

First Side: 四年十()月十六日丙午正陽造百錬()七支刀()辟百兵宜供供候王■■■■ ( or )

Second Side: 先世以來未有此刀百濟王世()奇生聖音故爲倭王旨造傳示後世

Characters in parentheses are ambiguous. Characters represented with black blocks are entirely unreadable.

In English:

First Side: "At noon on the sixteenth day of the eleventh month [May], fourth year of Tai■, the sword was made of 100 times hardened steel. Using the sword repels 100 enemy soldiers [Appropriate for the polite duke lord] It is sent [bestowed] to the duke lord. (Manufactured by or good fortune to...) [ ]"

Second Side: "Never before has there been such a blade. The crown prince of the king of Baekje, who lives under august sounds, had this sword made for King of Wa in the hope that it might be passed on to later generations."

Some interesting stuff!  The adventure continues!

With respect,

Dan

Seven-Branched_Sword.jpg

7 branch sword 3.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..