New member, with 1st Nihonto

Hello, My name is Thomas and I am new to the Forum, I acquired a little wakazashi sword in trade from a friend who collects all things sharp and pointy, he traded me this wakazashi that he got from a collector who got it from SleezeBay and it looks old but I know nothing about Nihonto blades, the blade measures 17.42" from the top of the brass collar and a full 18.26" from the handguard, the tang is about 5.1625" (5 1/8) roughly, it's very black and has the hole in it for the wood pin, has a nice sheath and a little knife on the side of it. So I traded him my wwii german bayonet cause he's into that stuff. I am 1/4 Japanese and no nothing about my Grandmother's culture, kind of embarrassing. Lol! Just want to know if this is a good Wakazashi I will try to upload more pics but having some issues. Thankyou

20230319_102316.jpg

20230319_102436.jpg

20230319_102346.jpg

Edited by Thomas Browne
Trying to add pictures
  • Like 1

Welcome Thomas,

Not possible to tell much from the pictures but I see nothing discouraging. Here you will find a care and handling brochure you should read at least once:

https://nbthk-ab2.org/sword-characteristics/

Make sure the bamboo pin is in the hole in the handle and through the one in the sword's tang; it is very important. If it is missing whittle a new one from a chopstick.

Grey

Guest Simon R

Hi and welcome, Thomas,

It's a nice trade - especially considering your own family background!

The main thing which worries me is that the blade appears bent from your 'back-on' photo.

(See below.)

This can often be remedied by a professional polisher, but these are so expensive that it may not be worth your while to do so.

Anyhow, congratulations on your swap!

Simon

D54272AA-0794-4CB5-A3D6-F42A02EC130F.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..