Need Help w/ Sword Identification

Nidaito9305

Greetings, NMB!

I have a sword I recently got from an auction that I wanted to get more information on. In particular, I was hoping to know if 1) This article is a genuine nihonto? 2) Who was the smith? 3) What period of Japan's history was this sword made? 4) If the plastic remnants on the saya indicate some official paperwork or documentation about the sword that was lost some time earlier?

I am still new to the field of Japanese swords as well as these forums, so please forgive me if some of my observations or practices are incorrect. If there is anything I need to improve, please let me know.

Here are some additional details about the sword:

Nagasa - 16"

Overall Length - 24"

Shape - Shinogi-Zukuri

Tip - Chu-Kissaki

Hada - ? (It is difficult to tell with my untrained eye, but it seems to be of the finer variants, ko-mokume/itame)

Hamon - Chu-Suguha, Nie

Spine - Iori-Mune

Nakago - Funagata

Nakago Tip - Kurijiri

Location - Was sold to me from within the U.S.

Thank you all so much in advance for looking over my post!

IMG_3467.JPG

IMG_3469.JPG

IMG_3475.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3483.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

Edited by Nidaito9305
Grammar and spelling

Hi, 

1. yes

2. Hizen Daijo fujiwara Tadayoshi (signature)
3. Shinto / early Edo

4. The blade must be registered in Japan and many owners simply tape the Torokushu (registration card) on the saya. It’s leftovers from the tape. 

Not sure if the signature is genuine but I don’t think it looks promising. 

• Like 2

Although the first two kanji look strange, I think that the mei reads 武蔵大掾藤原忠吉 – Musashi daijo Fujiwara Tadayoshi.

The mei may be gimei, because Tadayoshi 1st changed his name to Tadahiro after he got Musashi daijo title and was allowed to use Fujiwara name.

• Like 3

Hi Matt,

Forgive me for answering a question you didn't ask: beginners should not be buying Japanese swords at auction. Unless you knew the answers to the questions you asked and more before the sale, you should have stayed away from it. You were buying blind, which is an easy way to get burned.

With knowledge you can try the auctions; until then you need a dealer who knows a lot and can be trusted.

Grey

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Grey Doffin said:

Hi Matt,

Forgive me for answering a question you didn't ask: beginners should not be buying Japanese swords at auction. Unless you knew the answers to the questions you asked and more before the sale, you should have stayed away from it. You were buying blind, which is an easy way to get burned.

With knowledge you can try the auctions; until then you need a dealer who knows a lot and can be trusted.

Grey

Thank you so much for the advice, Mr. Doffin. I will keep this in mind before I make future purchases.

I used some books I bought in the past as reference so I already knew some degree of information on this sword before buying it, but I did not feel confident in my assessment as an amateur, hence why I made my post. However, I definitely agree it would have been much safer to know more about the blade before the sale closed. Either way, as my first Japanese sword, I am glad to know that it is a genuine article.

Much thanks again for the reply. It is something I will keep in mind.

1 hour ago, Rivkin said:

Can I ask for the nakago images with the right to use them in the future?

I don't want to sound too insensitive but it looks like a great illustrative example of gimei where you don't have to read what it says.

Absolutely! I am glad these images could be of use to someone else!

7 hours ago, Nobody said:

Although the first two kanji look strange, I think that the mei reads 武蔵大掾藤原忠吉 – Musashi daijo Fujiwara Tadayoshi.

The mei may be gimei, because Tadayoshi 1st changed his name to Tadahiro after he got Musashi daijo title and was allowed to use Fujiwara name.

Thank you for the reply!

Suppose the signature is indeed gimei, is there a way still to identify the true smith who made the sword?

The only way that I can think of is a shinsa after the signature is removed. 

My guess on Hizen for the first 2 Kanji was after some frustration just a guess so Musashi is more likely. 
Even if it would be Hizen it wouldn’t fit any Tadayoshi signature I know of. 

Edit: Actually you could post some good quality pictures of the blade if the polish allows to kantei. 
But this will just be some guys in the internet playing kantei games without value except I love doing it :laughing: 

A good picture of the Sugata with the Habaki off gives a good idea of the real age at least. 

I have looked over the pictures you have already posted and I’m a little worried the Boshi runs of at the tip and the other pictures look like you have too much oil on it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

The only way that I can think of is a shinsa after the signature is removed. 

My guess on Hizen for the first 2 Kanji was after some frustration just a guess so Musashi is more likely. 
Even if it would be Hizen it wouldn’t fit any Tadayoshi signature I know of. 

Edit: Actually you could post some good quality pictures of the blade if the polish allows to kantei. 
But this will just be some guys in the internet playing kantei games without value except I love doing it :laughing: 

A good picture of the Sugata with the Habaki off gives a good idea of the real age at least. 

I have looked over the pictures you have already posted and I’m a little worried the Boshi runs of at the tip and the other pictures look like you have too much oil on it. 

Here are some additional pictures of the sword. These are the best that my phone and lighting setup will allow so apologies in advance if it does not show much more than the initial photos I uploaded:

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3511.JPG

4 hours ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

Yes, I first read it as Hizen, too, and I wouldn't have considered Musashi a possibility until Moriyama-san mentioned it.

On 3/11/2023 at 6:56 PM, Nidaito9305 said:

IMG_3498.JPG

That boshi is seriously close to the edge! Hope you got a really good deal on this one. In my opinion, EVERY Nihonto you hold is a learning experience. It is best to hold many that belong to others before spending on one that you will own. Most of us on here have made a bad purchase at one time. Every one of us was a newbie at one point. Keep your eye on the sales page and dealer pages here. You can find good deals on good and excellent quality Nihonto on these pages.

Wishing you the best,

Dan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..