Ko-Shoami and friends

Artur DrogaMiecza

Hello,

For some time I have been focusing on iron tsuba, looking for items older than mid Edo. Here are a few of them. Your clues as to the school and the probable age of the individual objects will be helpful in my research. I will be able to confirm or revise my assumptions. I'm a beginner and I'm learning, please bear with me. Thanks a lot...

under study Ti420681

under study Tv536971

under study Ts617534

under study TT311653

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Artur the concentric rings tsuba [Hikiryō -ni-wa] (2) is remarkably close to one in Sasano's collection No. 91 page 131 of his "Early Japanese Sword Guards"  He describes it as Owari and he interpreted it as a heraldic device of the Ashikaga family. His example dated late Muromachi to near the beginning of the Momoyama period. In Sasano's piece there are ategane repairs to both sides of the seppa-dai. [81.5 mm x 80 mm x 5.5 mm rim  -  5 mm seppa-dai] Sorry this was the only image I could get quickly.

image.png.9b691298ee480aef3fb4886b3321478e.png

sasano owari book.jpg

• Like 3

The Concentric Rings one looks like the work of the Yahoo!Japan seller who surfaces many tsuba having similar siblings in famous books.

Yet many of his tsuba are some sort of chemical frankensteins when you finally get them in hand. The excessive and slightly odd "natural" age diveting, and the stomped in dirt appearance.

Everyone who has been buying off of Yahoo!Japan falls for one of his works sooner or later. Myself included, many many years ago.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Artur DrogaMiecza said:

Didn't we talk about a month ago via messenger (FB) about the tsuba attached?

52625396461_ae999aa5ee_o.jpg

Perhaps. That one looks baked.  Some of his tsuba look quite authentic, but jacked with or "juiced". We have someone in the USA who enjoys a reputation for similar work, even on NBTHK papered tsuba. Or at least Hozon level one. Supposedly he feels he is improving them. I've never asked his rationale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 3:39 AM, Curran said:

Perhaps. That one looks baked.  Some of his tsuba look quite authentic, but jacked with or "juiced". We have someone in the USA who enjoys a reputation for similar work, even on NBTHK papered tsuba. Or at least Hozon level one. Supposedly he feels he is improving them. I've never asked his rationale.

Yes, you can see imperfect places. it is obvious. Maybe too obvious... I have to add that both of these tsuba were bought from different sellers in different cities (Japan). BTW I feel sorry for you buying a frankenstein tsuba, I understand that it was a big trauma for you since you still remember it and remember it today. Do you have a picture of your frankenstein for my photo collection ;). Let;s have fun! 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:22 AM, Artur DrogaMiecza said:

Yes, you can see imperfect places. it is obvious. Maybe too obvious... I have to add that both of these tsuba were bought from different sellers in different cities (Japan). BTW I feel sorry for you buying a frankenstein tsuba, I understand that it was a big trauma for you since you still remember it and remember it today. Do you have a picture of your frankenstein for my photo collection ;). Let;s have fun! 

I'm pretty sure I donated it to Goodwill or a well known church thriftshop in NYC.

It bothered me too much to keep around, so I've let at least 2 tsuba go that way.

• Like 1

In archaeology its popular among some to "resin" the items which are on the verge of collapsing yet need to be displayed. The result is similar - you get this very soft defined edges and dark black-brown, uniform coloration. No cavities etc.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2023 at 11:07 PM, Rivkin said:

In archaeology its popular among some to "resin" the items which are on the verge of collapsing yet need to be displayed. The result is similar - you get this very soft defined edges and dark black-brown, uniform coloration. No cavities etc.

Understand. This tsuba is free of similar stains as resin ect. Slight signs of red rust appeared quite quickly when I kept it on the wall.

On 4/27/2023 at 3:49 AM, Artur DrogaMiecza said:

Understand. This tsuba is free of similar stains as resin ect. Slight signs of red rust appeared quite quickly when I kept it on the wall.

This is an important bit of information. The development of red rust so quickly indicates that surface of this tsuba was never in a stable state like you see on many antique tsuba that has a stable patina on its surface containing primarily black rust.   

Hi Artur,

Sorry to tell you, but the tsuba you are showing are not pre-mid Edo period.

Designs are stiff and awkward, most of them unprecedented.

Execution is amateurish and very poor.

All in all they look pretty young.

I suggest you study reliable sources about quality tsuba before further acquiring.

reinhard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2023 at 1:21 AM, reinhard said:

Hi Artur,

Sorry to tell you, but the tsuba you are showing are not pre-mid Edo period.

Designs are stiff and awkward, most of them unprecedented.

Execution is amateurish and very poor.

All in all they look pretty young.

I suggest you study reliable sources about quality tsuba before further acquiring.

reinhard

Thank You. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..