Barn Find

Noah

G'day Guys,

The fact that there are at least 3 examples found now suggests to me that we are missing something in the translation. I don't think these were commissioned by an individual, but were made by Sadakatsu to commemorate something?

Cheers,

Bryce

• Like 1

真打ち (Shinuchi) and 影打ち (Kageuchi)

When a smith receives an important order, he makes two or more identical swords. The smith delivers the best one among them to the orderer, which is called Shinuchi. And the remaining swords are called Kageuchi.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Nobody said:

真打ち (Shinuchi) and 影打ち (Kageuchi)

When a smith receives an important order, he makes two or more identical swords. The smith delivers the best one among them to the orderer, which is called Shinuchi. And the remaining swords are called Kageuchi.

But kageuchi are not signed in the same way as the commisioned sword, more likely there was multiple individuals that had to recieve a sword in the same family, that would make sense with the company i found with the same name, probably all (male) family members got one

G'day Guys,

Gassan Sadakatsu was very consistent in the way he signed. He almost always signed "kinsaku", occasionally "saku" only, these are the first blades I have seen not even signed "saku". This is also the first time I have seen him sign as the sendai Gassan Sadakatsu. Also on custom ordered swords he usually writes "Tame" then the person's name. I am not for a minute suggesting these blades are gimei, but am simply trying to determine the significance (if any) of him changing the way he signed for these blades.

Cheers,

Bryce

1943 mei.jpg

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..