Lost and looking for answers

Itchy 6-502

After my father passed away and we were going thru the atic, we came across what I believe is a legitimate Shin-Gunto. I think it is one of the machine made ones from what little I know about metal work. Have seen many pictures online, but none seem to match this one exactly. The wrap on the handle is actual cloth, though it is slightly disintegrating with age; most of the photos I have seen the handle wrap appears plastic. The paint on the scabbard appears original, and there doesn't seem to have ever been any modifications, the tsuka appears to be original as well. I understand that the tang may contain a signature or date or other information, but I am loathe to disassemble the sword, as I am not very mechanically inclined and I don't want to damage anything.

I guess I'm just trying to see exactly what it is I've got and if it has value (as in should I get it insured if I hang it in the house). Any help would be greatly appreciated; here are a few pics and I can take more if necessary.

DSC_0067.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

Chris,

it would probably be a good idea to post your request in the 'Military' section where the experts are.

The TSUKA ITO (= binding) is always textile, never plastic.

And please don't hang it in the house! Japanese swords are kept away from curious looks and fingers, lying horizontally in a drawer - at least the authentic/traditional ones! 

• Like 3

Hi Chris,

Here is a link to a care and cleaning brochure: https://nbthk-ab2.org/sword-characteristics/

You should read this. It tells you how to remove the handle and you will do no harm if you follow directions. If the handle hasn't been off for decades it may be stuck. If that's the case feel free to call and I'll talk you through a solution.

A picture of the nakago (tang) will allow us to tell you a lot more about your sword.

Grey 218-340-1001 central time

• Like 1

@Brian - could we get this moved to the Military forum?  Thanks my friend!

Chris,

Don't worry about harming anything, these are made specifically easy to disassemble.  You'll see in the link Grey posted how easy it is to push/tap out the small bamboo peg holding the handle to the tang.  Then, the handle and handguard pieces simply slide off.  Sometimes dirt, grime, and age can make them resist a bit, but don't worry about harming anything to gently tap them off.

Chris nice family heirloom.

Everyone wants to see the nakago which is important but also it's necessary to know how long it is from tip to the brass collar where the handguard is.

At your own speed sir, once you read up on it and comfortable you'll know how to remove the handle.

As stated they're made to be removed for maintenance.

Following.

• Like 2

I recently disassembled an old sword without issues, despite having the same worries as you. But as Stephen said, take your time. These guys will be able to tell you all you need to know once they see certain bits.

Or perhaps a forum member lives relatively close to you, and they might be willing to meet up one day and assist you? Or you could visit one of the meetings.

Quick note: some well qualified members have stated that they are moving away from the uchiko (stick, with ball at end, in a traditional cleaning kit for a Japanese sword), and to microfiber/fine lens cleaning cloth. The contents of the uchiko balls tend to be ambiguous and studies have shown (Darcey had an article) that uchiko powder use can actually degrade the final polish on a sword. 

Nice piece you got. Handle it well. 

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..