Wakizashi 1860 - bizen osafune yokoyama sukekane saku

Gimmick

Good day,

I have for sale a Wakizashi, you can read all about it in this thread, including many photos, and I've laid all bare.

Some think it is legit, some think it is Gimei. It's a lovely sword either way, and I think someone will enjoy and appreciate it much more than I will. I simply have it because it belonged to my grandfather who worked on the Death Railway in Burma during WWII as a POW of the Japanese. I think this military history - it was worn by a Japanese soldier in WWII - increases its value, but I understand nohinto collectors do not care about this. Either way, Brian valued it at $1,000 to $1,200, but I think it is worth €1,500 considering the military history. I have also learned that the intricate homan does not necessarily add value, but in my opinion it does, I have not seen many like this and I find it beautiful. However, your offers will determine if I am right or wrong, and I am open to negotiation.

Kind regards,

Ferry

Now for the template, I will try my best:

Type (Tachi, Katana, Wakizashi, Tanto, Naginata, Other) : wakizashi
Ubu, Suriage or O-Suriage : bless you
Mei : (Mumei, Signature) :  bizen osafune yokoyama sukekane saku
Papered or not and by whom? : not papered
Era/Age : 1860
Shirasaya, Koshirae or Bare Blade? : shirasaya
Nagasa/Blade Length : 49.5 cm?
Sori : come again?
Hamon Type : you tell me!
Jihada : I guess that's better than jihadi?
Other Hataraki Visible : I have no clue
Flaws : rust, chips
Sword Location : The Netherlands
Will ship to : Worldwide
Payment Methods Accepted : Bank transfer, Paypal with fees for buyer
Price and Currency : €1500

Other Info and Full Description : Open to negotiation

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that the shirasaya has two cracks opposite each other where the sword goes in, which I guess is not uncommon, but I thought I'd mention it.

I will also add that I found my grandfather's Japanese internment papers in an online database, I will post a low-res copy here as proof of the provenance of this sword.

The buyer will also receive at least one memoire of my grandfather's war experiences, though he does not mention the sword in the one that I have found so far. It is simply intended as extra history for those that like history.

NL-HaNA_2.10.50.03_431_0341s-klein.jpg

Since some people are interested in restoring it, and because it's fun to photograph this sword, I am adding some photos. I will say though, that while a potential buyer may discount this object being militaria, this will not result in a discount. World War II items demand a premium in all markets, that's just the way it is. The buyer has my blessing to restore this wakizashi and erase the traces of war of course, and I'm sure it will be beautiful, if the chips shown in the photos are not problematic. You can be the judge of that.

image.thumb.png.c779beaf3caaf12c22189535d62f980b.png

image.thumb.png.89210c68380fa5c57a1a6e08c5ed7901.png

For me, if that was my grandafthers story I would get it polished, new shirasaya and pass it through the family. You already know it would be beautiful, if polished. To me, it owuld not matter if I spent more than what it could be sold for...if it is to stay in the family. That is just what I would do. Wishing you the best with your sale.

Dan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTM72 said:

For me, if that was my grandafthers story I would get it polished, new shirasaya and pass it through the family. You already know it would be beautiful, if polished. To me, it owuld not matter if I spent more than what it could be sold for...if it is to stay in the family. That is just what I would do. Wishing you the best with your sale.

Dan

I can certainly imagine many people would feel this way. We’ve discussed it, but my parents have different passions and so do I. Even my grandfather wasn’t attached to it, he gave it on a random day to my father a few years before his death without any backstory. As I wrote in the thread, I’m the first to show any interest in it and to research it. If I am to keep it because it doesn’t sell, I will keep it with the patina anyway, I see enough of the hamon to appreciate it to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..