Corroded mei

kissakai

There is corrosion on the mei as shown in the images

Closet I could find making iron tsuba is Yasunori 安則 Haynes H11227 - Chikugo (筑後) ju (住)

On the NMB there have been a few swords with similar corrosion that have been translated so maybe someone can help with this one

Fingers crossed

181024096_NMBmei(1).thumb.JPG.3d26f8bf71f47024ee7ac08176a607bc.JPG

2046546707_NMBmei(2).jpg.c0f1dd4c5072334eaf827402f62b72d7.jpg

1973426199_NMBmei(3).jpg.1c863414cf7157c20935223318296c88.jpg

Hi Grev

For once I think the image is too “close up”. Can you try shining a light source across the area rather than straight down onto it? You can sometimes see a “ghost” of the kanji via shadows. Try it from all sides at various angles. 

Sadly doesn’t help much. What I meant (but didn’t explain it very well) was use a torch to shine a beam across the tsuba from the side or all around at various angles to see if it picks up the remnants of the kanji which can appear in the shadows created by the beam of light. It’s a technique I’ve used on corroded nakago with surprising results. It’s difficult to explain…..grab a torch and play around!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..