Newbie to Swords and Forum

csmith1969

I got these from my father in-law after he passed away and really don't have any history, other than his family recalls they came back from WWII with a relative. No experience with swords. Just trying to figure out how to figure the value so I can make a decision what to do with them. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Sword Pics.jpg

Hello and welcome,

FIRST, read a bit about how to take care of nihonto - do not try to clean anything and please do not touch the steel with bare hands.

You can use any non abrasive cloth while trying to disassemble the blade from its outfit (usually they are held by a wooden pin that is located right in the middle below the guard. If you are able to expose the tang by yourself then snap some good photos of both side along with:

-Vertical photo of the whole blade 'naked' (please do NOT set it on the floor, any material would be better than leaving it directly onto a hard surface).

-pictures of the tip (both sides)

- pictures of the folded steel - try area where there's no scratches and rust. Playing with light angles could be exhausting but there's no other way around it. I usually have a dimmed light in a dark room at about 45' of light towards blade angle for best results. 

If you can't remove the tang cover please supply photos of the location right below the guard where the pin is, for further instructions 

Cheers

J.

P.S. do not hurry up and read a bit on it. Plenty of information on the forum

Also I'm referring to the first and last vertically positioned blades in your photo.

• Thanks 1

So, the beefcake sword on the left is the Japanese sword. Cannot tell if it is a traditionally made sword as that would need detailed pics as NewB said above.

At top is what looks like an early 1800’s foot artillery man’s short sword. To the right of the Japanese sword are most likely a European sword, then a Civil War era calvary saber, and a machete in a sheath. 

I think some of the folks on here can guide you to forums and websites that deal with non-Japanese items. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Nicely done!!!

I'll leave it to the experts but it is signed (and dated).

Are the black spots in the blade (and in your photos) on the surface or indentations that go below? Like tiny holes in a sense?

P.s. since i dont see any stamps this is definitely worth having examined by an expert IMHO.

J.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, csmith1969 said:

The are on the surface and not indentations into the blade.

Very good! Look up 'oil for nihonto' on the forum - small investment but it'd preserve it until you decide what you want to do with it. Someone more knowledgeable than me will definitely tell you the best route to go! I'd keep it haha

P.s. I know second character above the 'hole' is 'mitsu'... still learning hahaha

J.

• Like 2

I think the signature is:

Muramitsu 村光

And date I think, year 皇紀

(koki) 2600, 10th month, lucky day.

Koki is the Imperial year system. 2060 is I think 1940. 

Disclaimer just what is says I can’t validate gimei or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

While my forum name clearly states my level of knowledge I disagree the nakago was altered unless the date and signature was added later. The Kanji look very crisp with the appropriate 'dimples' as outline that clearly warrant a sharp chisel work.

In an event of grinding no such 'lips' would be present but rather flat and sharp edges.

Just my observation 

J.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SteveM said:

相模國住靖要作

Sagami-no-kuni jū Yasukane saku

thank you @SteveM

i must have brought a bit of confusion. I posted it just to compare the patina to the original post’s nakago

always there to help, thank you again

j.

On 1/29/2023 at 8:39 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

The sword on the right is the Type 19 officer dress sword.

Yep! Bruce is right—can’t believe I missed the point area on the right-most sword. Absolutely not Civil War. I’ll go and contemplate the meaning of life in a dark corner now. :laughing:

• Haha 1

村光 = Muramitsu.

皇紀二千六百年十月吉日 = A lucky day in October 1940.

I found a sword marked as 村上村光作之 at the link below.

https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q13212120033

I have reposted the picture below for convenience.

Could it be one and the same as 村上村光 (銘 正忠)?

https://ameblo.jp/busyuu/entry-12527031561.html

@SteveM @mecox @BANGBANGSAN

que-13212120033.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..