Bizarre way to buy a daisho! IMAGES ADDED

Matsunoki

Next time you have a chance, I would appreciate pics of the tsuba(s)  I just picked one up with the hawk and plover design, and would like to compare.  I know mine is probably a common copy, but like the design nonetheless.  Great story on the set! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Mark S. said:

Next time you have a chance, I would appreciate pics of the tsuba(s)  I just picked one up with the hawk and plover design, and would like to compare.  I know mine is problem a

Hi Mark

Quick images of tsuba herewith. 
All the best

Colin

4D909A6A-51D2-4755-9CD9-74FA1DC689E0.jpeg

061B7186-C9C8-47BC-8A36-E7EA461BC15E.jpeg

8 minutes ago, kissakai said:

Looks to need a gentle clean in soapy water

Hello Grev

Many thanks . 

The images are after I’ve gently cleaned them in soapy water!! The whole daisho was dirty and neglected…..but the blades were still in good original polish miraculously! I think the Samurai put all his money into the blades and the saya. I’m still pondering what to do……I would put better fittings on but good daisho stuff seems very scarce.

All the best

Colin

I’ve only owned iron tsuba so this is my first soft metal (brass and other alloy mix?).  I have  left it alone since buying and only handle with a cloth until I learn more about proper care and feeding.  Wasn’t sure how patina reacts to washing or handling.  Any advice?  Will also add to discussion in Tosogu section.

3E6225FB-A341-4571-AB0B-4C3FEBCBD944.thumb.jpeg.fd4f7adaa86118c121cd6b0efafdb56f.jpeg

6BC3E624-0983-474B-B2DE-1734877C6287.thumb.jpeg.917f5eabe21c842ed9586e3232e828f8.jpeg

12 hours ago, WillFalstaff said:

Are you planning on having the handles and all rewrapped/conditioned? 

Hi Gabe, yes, in due course I would like to add nicer tsuka fittings and re wrap in black. Trouble is can’t find really  nice daisho tsuba, f/k etc.   I must be patient!

Thanks for looking.

All the best.

Colin

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..