New guy with a type 95 and 98?

edgartwib

Hi all,

Over Christmas I was visiting a old childhood friend.  He recently inherited his fathers military collection and was showing it off to me.  

Among it was a rather large stack of, WWII era katanas in the corner of one closet.   He told me that these were not the documented blades from the collection and that they were gonna be for sale.  He then showed me a  binder with pictures of documented katanas.  A few had their value noted and purchase price the latest dated 2012. We noted that maybe his dad never updated his binder as he continued to collect until his death but we don't know.

He has no idea of their authenticity but guarantees to do me right if they turn out to be fake.  I did a horse trade and walked away with 2 from the stack.

I believe i have a wire scabbard wrapped Type 95 NCO and a Type 98 Army Officers.

I'm attempting to take the handle off the type 98 but the wood is buggered.

How did I do? 

20230118_094334_copy_1600x900.jpg

• Thanks 1

Re-warp the copper and the swords are paid.

As i build my house i wanted the gutter in copper. At this time copper was so incredible expensive. The craftsman said to me  i should by them in gold it's much cheaper :laughing:

So i choose zinc.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

The wire wrapped saya is interesting historically, as it reflects detailed work and a lot of time.  Over the years I recall seeing a wide range of wrapped saya using string, cord, rope, rolled paper, leather and various tapes, also with cane (one is shown in F&G 1986 book...possibly by the Japanese officer?).  Some of these are simple wrap around, but many others have detailed turns, knots and patterns.  The knots often look like traditional naval knots.  I have always assumed this wrapping was done near the end or post-war on captured or souvenir swords when the owner has plenty of time, such as waiting to be shipped or during shipping home.   Any other ideas?

• Like 2

Hi Ed welcome.

I can't comment on the 'territory made sword' apart from noticing the dyed 'same' ray skin on the tsuka. Interesting.

The Type 95 has three stamps on the fuchi (see righted pic below).. first is the Kobe Shoten Co., then Tokyo 1st Arsenal inspection stamp and lastly, the Kokura Arsenal stamp.  Interestingly, the first stamp has a single stroke (ichi) through it and its one you don't see that often from the Kobe Shoten Co.   Your blade number 48556 is in the correct range for that Company.

Can you post a clear picture of the number on top of the scabbard (saya) throat.  Hopefully it matches your blade number.

Mal, @mecox re the wrapping of sayas...my gut feeling is that they are both wartime and postwar and each needs to be speculated on individually, but if there was an argument for a wartime copper wrap, then I think Ed's would be a great candidate.  Picture of my Pattern 1 copper saya below which clearly had some form of wider wrapping on it for many years.

Ed, my opinion...leave it wrapped. I would never try to remove it if it were mine. Also, don't try to take handle (tsuka) off the 95...nothing to see ... only damage possible.

As far as removing the handle (tsuka) from the 'territory' sword..be careful if the wood is weak...remove mekugi (peg) first ....just google removing tsuka on NMB search or YouTube...or ask.

Rob

Screenshot_20230119_101721_Chrome.png

Screenshot_20230119_092642_Gallery.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for all the remarks and advice.

I am not planning on messing with them any more from this point on.

I will put them up and start saving for another.  I'm going to keep the 95 wrapped and I will not take the territory blade apart.  I was weary to do so anyway.

These are the first katanas in my collection.  They will go next to my US 1860 and a couple  US M1913 "Patton" Sabres I've collected over the years.

I'll be around.  

Ed

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..