Is this a real Hamon?

3 hours ago, Malvakin said:

Oh I’m fairly certain it’s not at this point. But as far as Chinese copies go, it’s not half bad. 

I agree. It seems to be closer on the higher end of things in terms of quality, at least aesthetically. The one I posted above is being sold for about $3.8k including koshirae.

54 minutes ago, Xander Chia said:

I agree. It seems to be closer on the higher end of things in terms of quality, at least aesthetically. The one I posted above is being sold for about $3.8k including koshirae.

Well goddamn! I bought mine for about $500, not a bad deal at all! 

1 hour ago, Xander Chia said:

Dang!

You can't get that for a shinsakuto without koshirae these days.

Lol

J.

41 minutes ago, Malvakin said:

Well goddamn! I bought mine for about $500, not a bad deal at all! 

Oh, then go hammer concrete with it haha

Though you paid considerably more

$500 for a katana answers the hamon question lol

J.

31 minutes ago, Darkcon said:

Oh, then go hammer concrete with it haha

Though you paid considerably more

$500 for a katana answers the hamon question lol

J.

The Chinese do sell differentially hardened blades below that price point. It’s not the same as the ones found on nihonto but there technically still is a “hamon.”

• Like 1

One last comment on Mike & Komonjo. The three blades I sent to shinsa were the best I bought, & that I was sure were shoshin. I have several other blades I've bought from him that were simply interesting & priced accordingly As several of you have pointed out, buy blades that YOU have evaluated via kantei, not what the seller may claim.

If you don't know how to kantei, STOP! Go learn those basics before you spend your money. NMB's own Markus Sesko has an incredibly-useful kantei course, that's free at https://markussesko.com/kantei/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xander Chia said:

The Chinese do sell differentially hardened blades below that price point. It’s not the same as the ones found on nihonto but there technically still is a “hamon.”

I agree. Technically 

15 minutes ago, Xander Chia said:

Most of them use a brownish/orangey thick clay mixture to coat the whole blade. They then remove sections of it to create the hamon pattern. I screenshot this image from YouTube. It’s supposedly taken from the Hanwei forge.

C5B6430D-E3F7-4765-9B74-7FC79B24728D.png

Don't think too much about this one.

It's just a replica thing from anywhere and should be announced as such.

It's neither a proper "Gendaito", "Samurai sword" or whatever makes your heartbeat go faster.

As far as I'm understanding NMB (see entrance side) discussing obscure wall-ornaments and Japanese-looking bamboo choppers is not its task.

But maybe I'm wrong. Finally it's Brian's baby.

reinhard

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..