To choji or not choji?

Okan

Hey guys, 

Quick question. I'm not sure if the overlay material is sahari or silver but there is little rust going on here. Do you think some choji would hurt the 3-6-4 kiri mon? :)(want to remind you it's not inlay)

Thank you!!

@Spartancrest I already know your answer but I'm not gonna do it :) no spitting

3.thumb.jpg.339e37308b0f979bcac0f20f6347840d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okan,

It doesn't look like SAHARI on this photo, but even if it were silver I would not expect problems with a little oil. Another question is, if oil could really stop corrosion. 
My take would be to remove the rust first (with pointed antler pieces - in case you don't have them, I can send you some) and then prevent new rust forming with oil.

Otherewise an interesting TSUBA!

• Like 1

Dear Jean,

It probably wouldn't stop corrosion but would give a nice black look for a day or two. :) I can try antler pieces but I'm afraid I don't have any so I would very much    appreciate some.

4 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Okan,

It doesn't look like SAHARI on this photo, but even if it were silver I would not expect problems with a little oil. Another question is, if oil could really stop corrosion. 
My take would be to remove the rust first (with pointed antler pieces - in case you don't have them, I can send you some) and then prevent new rust forming with oil.

Otherewise an interesting TSUBA!

Jean, this seems like a dumb question but here goes. I recently bought a pair of copper menuki. One of them has an excess of green oxidation I’d like to lightly remove to expose the form underneath. My silly question is if I can make antler shards from Amazon purchased antler ‘chew’ for dogs. Or am I better off finding antler on eBay and smashing it. 

8 hours ago, rematron said:

..... I recently bought a pair of copper menuki. One of them has an excess of green oxidation I’d like to lightly remove to expose the form underneath. My .....question is if I can make antler shards from Amazon purchased antler ‘chew’ for dogs. Or am I better off finding antler on eBay and smashing it. 

Darrel and Dale gave the correct answer. Antler contains a lot of calcium phosphate, a hard mineral. What works fine on iron might be too hard on copper.

Verdigris is often caused by fat/oil on copper. When you have cleaned your MENUKI, take care to prevent them from any fat/oil contact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..