Waki information request/help

Hey! This is my first Nihonto I got from eBay for 100$. Was hoping to maybe get any info on it anyone may know like how old the blade is. Also wanted to ask if the crack in the blade would be consider “unrestorable” if I sent it to a professional. Thanks in advanced! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Andrew:

The crack you refer to is called a Fukure = a blister pocket where the weld didn't take. The fix for it is called Umegane = which is a steel filler. The real question is whether or not it is worth it. In this case, I would say just study the blade and practice looking at all of the different aspects and memorizing the terminology. I could be wrong, but it appears to have fire scale, which is a "fatal flaw" and makes the blade just a study piece. 

Good luck!

John C.

• Love 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, John C said:

Andrew:

The crack you refer to is called a Fukure = a blister pocket where the weld didn't take. The fix for it is called Umegane = which is a steel filler. The real question is whether or not it is worth it. In this case, I would say just study the blade and practice looking at all of the different aspects and memorizing the terminology. I could be wrong, but it appears to have fire scale, which is a "fatal flaw" and makes the blade just a study piece. 

Good luck!

John C.

Thank you so much man!!! I have a lot to learn! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..