Using old tosogu on practice swords

OceanoNox

Hello!

Looking through the forum, I found a post where it seemed frowned upon, if not completely criticized, to set non-modern tosogu on swords meant for use (I mean iai or tameshigiri). I have no idea if the idea is widespread, but I remember my own sensei having a relatively  50-year old blade with an even older tsuba on it.
Personally, I would use old iron tsuba if they fit (and maybe fuchi-kashira), because that's where a tsuba is meant to be, but I do wonder if it is consider heresy or not.

※ I would not use antique menuki, or antique soft metal tosogu in general, because the sweat and friction would ruin the patina (my own brass menuki are a mixture of pink and black due to the zinc being "rubbed" off)

Arnaud,

I share your attitude to use traditional or even old (iron) TOSOGU on IAI-TO as long as it is warranted that they are well protected and preserved. In my eyes, it is a way to upgrade your sword and increase the pleasure to use it and train with it.

• Like 2

Arnaud,

I use to train in iaido.  I replaced the tsuba on two of my iaito with old iron tsuba.  I had to add some metal pieces inside the nakago-ana to make them fit well.

They fit fine and worked well.  I thought it was great training with an actual piece of history attached to my iaito.  It seemed to add more "spirit" to the iaito and to my training!!

With respect,

Dan

• Like 2

It’s just fine to do this. A good rule of thumb: any old tosogu should be worth less than the sword / mogito you’re using. 

With that guideline you’ll never risk anything too valuable or important. 

Just make sure the balance is still good or all of your hours of practice will be a waste!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..