Small Wakizashi information request

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll start my novice journey here with a request for information about one of my Wakizashi's that has me intrigued. I obtained it from another Aussie collector who was downsizing. Although I am interested in the mei, I am in particularly interested in the slight dimensions of the blade.

Apologies for the photo quality, My DLSR battery has died, and the replacement has not yet arrived so I'm working off iphone. 

My information on purchase was that it was " by 'Izumi Kami Kinmichi', possibly from the onin school, and possibly Meiji period". The previous owner stated that he had never followed up on the mei. I did a number of searches and confirmed the signature appears to be 'Izumi no Kami Rai Kinmichi - although the natural question is if it is gimei, and I appreciate that may be difficult from an image. I'd never heard the term 'onin school' previously.

Onto the blade (and please forgive my ignorance with the correct terminology. The Wakizashi is far lighter than any other one I have handled. The blade is noticeably narrower than my other Wakiszashi's. Blade length is just over 23 inches, with the width at the habaki being under 1 inch, and at the tip end being about 3/4 inch. There is no discernable hamon due to the condition of the blade, although under close light there may be a faint one (but I can't get a good enough image).

I have attached a few images, including a side by side with another Wakizashi as a size comparison. The previous owner suggested it may have been specifically made for a person of slight stature, but obviously this is conjecture. Would anyone have any information or suggestions about these lighter, narrower blade history (or mei authenticity etc) ? I've gone through my books and spent some online time but haven't found any references to how common they were. 

Any information will be gratefully accepted.

Best regards, Dave

2.jpg

1.jpg

9.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

David:

Welcome! Just a guess, however there were a lot of wakizashis made in the shinto and shin shinto eras because merchants and other officials and business types were allowed to carry them. It is possible, therefore, that it could have been made for someone slight of stature. Another possibility, and more likely in my opinion, is that it is a "boys day" sword. These were made specifically for a boys birthday or coming of age and tend to be smaller than average waks. 

John C.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John C said:

David:

Welcome! Just a guess, however there were a lot of wakizashis made in the shinto and shin shinto eras because merchants and other officials and business types were allowed to carry them. It is possible, therefore, that it could have been made for someone slight of stature. Another possibility, and more likely in my opinion, is that it is a "boys day" sword. These were made specifically for a boys birthday or coming of age and tend to be smaller than average waks. 

John C.

Thanks a lot John, I hadn't considered the 'boys day' theory, but that certainly makes a lot of sense. I don't have any references to youth swords that I can see in my books, so I'll jump online later and start some research. Thanks for the quick response! Dave. 

1 hour ago, Jacques D. said:

If i'm not wrong, this sword is gimei  The correct mei should be Izumi no kami Rai Kinmichi  

Thanks Jaques.  When I purchased it, the owner gave the name "Izumi Kami Kinmichi". He provided a good photo of the mei to work with, and I found a number of swords online, including several signed NBTHK papered ones , by the name you mention - "Izumi no Kami Rai Kinmichi" - the mei's appear identical (at least to my novice eyes). I've contacted a translator to organise a professional translation, but haven't heard back yet. As this sword isn't papered, I was aware that there was the possibility of the mei being gimei, but as per my first post I was quite taken in by the smaller blade dimensions so decided to add it to the collection. Was your response based on the name I was originally given ("Izumi Kami Kinmichi"), or were you able to translate the mei? I'd love to hear exactly what the mei says as my kanji ability is limited to 'side by side' photo comparisons, and then trawling through online references to confirm the word. 

Thanks again for your response. I'm learning something new every day here, and working my way through confusion with very similar sounding swordsmith names over different the periods and schools. 

Regards, Dave

3 hours ago, Jacques D. said:

I'm able to read mei if they are readable and i own an extensive library in Japanese and in english

below a correct signature (tokubetsu hozon). 

Thanks so much Jacques, that helps clear it up. I'd seen a few references, both with and without the chrysanthemum as part of the Izumi no kami Rai Kinmichi mei, so at least now I know mine is gimei. Fortunately I bought it for the blade and not the mei, but at least now if I pass it on I can give a better background on it. Cheers mate, Dave

3 hours ago, Jacques D. said:

IMG_3756.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..